Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Anything on 2 wheels
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
These days I'm training for a 20km duathlon and am trying to get used to a better aero positioning. The problem is that after a couple of miles of being on the drops both my hands start to get numb up to the point where I must get back on the hoods cause I can't feel them (or I just can't feel the road enough to be confident). I've never had this problem when riding the hoods, even on way longer rides. The bike I use was fitted when I bought it but not for special 20km application. I only race once a month and don't want the bike fitted especially for these occasions and to be less confortable the rest of the time. Also, I noticed that many TTers tend to sit more on the tip of the saddle, which makes me wonder if I'm too stretched out. Should I head back to the shop for a fit adjustment or should I simply try to find a better positioning without changing the bike?

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
How low are your bars? Drop bars were designed to allow a comfortable cruising position on the tops with the option of going down on the drops when you wanted to get aero. Over the years, though, the trend has been to lower them, so now many people ride with the tops considerably lower than the saddle, making it uncomfortable to use the drops at all. Most of my back/neck/hand problems went away when I raised my bars to be level with the seat (easy with a quill stem--we Rivendell people know nothing of this "spacer" of which you speak).

·
Anything on 2 wheels
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cory said:
How low are your bars? Drop bars were designed to allow a comfortable cruising position on the tops with the option of going down on the drops when you wanted to get aero. Over the years, though, the trend has been to lower them, so now many people ride with the tops considerably lower than the saddle, making it uncomfortable to use the drops at all. Most of my back/neck/hand problems went away when I raised my bars to be level with the seat (easy with a quill stem--we Rivendell people know nothing of this "spacer" of which you speak).
The bars are definitly lower than the seat. Can't tell by how much as I'm at work... I'd say around 1 inch but I'd have to measure

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
What percentage of time are you spending in the drops? I wouldn't think climbing or some flats would require being down that low, and it would seem an invitation for injury to
be always hammering all bent over. Also likely numb hands may be a bike fit issue.
I used to have that until I got fitted.

·
Anything on 2 wheels
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
phoehn9111 said:
What percentage of time are you spending in the drops? I wouldn't think climbing or some flats would require being down that low, and it would seem an invitation for injury to
be always hammering all bent over. Also likely numb hands may be a bike fit issue.
I used to have that until I got fitted.
Since it's a 20km I try to spend the most time possible bent. I found out yesterday that relaxing my shoulders helps a lot allowing me to stand around 10 minutes on the drops before my hands get numb. This seems a reasonable period of time allowing me to manage head/tail wind. I'll possibly drop by the shop to have the fit rechecked though, after all it's better to have it done to perfection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.