Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that after I ride for a little bit, especially in the drops, my hands start to fall asleep and once it starts, there's no getting rid of it. Even if I shake my hands out it won't go away for the rest of my ride. I wear Specialized BG gloves and am wondering if there are better gloves that would remedy this or if it's my fit to the bike that's causing it. There's got to be a solution, I just don't know what it is.

Thanks!

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
What part of your hands are going numb? You know what they say; location, location, location.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Look for the usual suspects.
1) Is your seat level? If it's at all slanting forward this will often lead to hand numbness.
2) How's your reach? Rule of thumb...when on the hoods, is the hub hidden by the bar.
3) How's your core strenght? If you are a new rider, you may need to build up you ability to support your upper body with your core vs holding it up with your arms. This will come with a few hundred miles under you butt.

Scot

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
It's around the thumb area and the wrists which then carry it down to my fingers. But the main area is around the thumb and wrists.
Back of the hand? Palm of the hand? Wristband-like numbness around the wrist?

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scot_Gore said:
Look for the usual suspects.
1) Is your seat level? If it's at all slanting forward this will often lead to hand numbness.
2) How's your reach? Rule of thumb...when on the hoods, is the hub hidden by the bar.
3) How's your core strenght? If you are a new rider, you may need to build up you ability to support your upper body with your core vs holding it up with your arms. This will come with a few hundred miles under you butt.

Scot

I'll check my seat level and my reach... I'd think that my core is strong due to my MMA/Fighting background.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
I'd check to make sure that most of your weight isn't on your thumbs when you're in the drops, rather you're resting over a more broad contact.

·
Team Tom's
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
robdamanii said:
I'd check to make sure that most of your weight isn't on your thumbs when you're in the drops, rather you're resting over a more broad contact.
Will do... I've been thinking I need to move my seat forward as I have to make a conscience effort to scoot back to get on my sit-bones. I wonder if I'm over-reaching as mentioned above and it's contributing to my hand-numbness... It does make sense when you think about it... And if something else is wrong then the problem is being compounded.

Heh, I need to figure this out as I have Tulsa Tough this weekend. :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
I expedienced the smae numbness, for me it happened when I raised my seat and I guess that forced more weight to my hands. With a few miles it has improved, and when I feel the numbness coming I move my hands to the hoods for a while and it definetly helps.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Your putting pressure on the ulnar and median nerves. Other then releasing your hands and shaking them out occasionally see if you can find a glove that has a little more padding in them. Some manufactures of gloves say that there padding will help (I really have not found one yet).

·
Registered
620 Posts
Everybody gets numb hands...

...even the pros. Lots of good information in this thread re what you can do to prevent. I am also a believer in carbon bars and Aztec Vibe wrap or something similar. If you're going numb in the drops especially, consider a bar with shorter reach/drop and maybe a different bend. I just switched to FSA Force Compact bars, and I love 'em...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I switched saddles, and didn't notice when I put he new one on, I inadvertently placed it a centimeter farther back than the previous saddle. My hands were going numb, and I couldn't figure out why, since I didn't notice my reach actually being longer (and I since forgotten about switching saddles.)

My first clue was my legs were hitting the saddle bag (which I had recently replaced) so much that I wore holes in a pair of shorts during one ride. I tried to re-attach the bag without success, so I moved the saddle forward so my legs wouldn't hit the saddlebag. Viola, the hands stopped being numb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.