Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newb... The wife and I just picked up some Specialized bikes this weekend (a Sirrus for me and a Vita for her) anyways test riding them around the area of the store was great!

We decided to ride the bikes home and I noticed that my hands were going numb/tingling a lot... I assume that it's the position of the handle bars and how I'm gripping them...

Is there anything that I can do that is a relatively quick fix to resolve this? Swap out the handle bars for something more ergonomic maybe? I'm all ears so please help me out...

thanks in advance!

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
chongsg said:
I'm a newb... The wife and I just picked up some Specialized bikes this weekend (a Sirrus for me and a Vita for her) anyways test riding them around the area of the store was great!

We decided to ride the bikes home and I noticed that my hands were going numb/tingling a lot... I assume that it's the position of the handle bars and how I'm gripping them...

Is there anything that I can do that is a relatively quick fix to resolve this? Swap out the handle bars for something more ergonomic maybe? I'm all ears so please help me out...

thanks in advance!
Numbness/ tingling is normally due to pressure, and there could be a number of factors causing it.

Since it's a new bike and a new fit I'd look at making sure the saddle is (at least) level. If it is level, consider tilting the tip up slightly (a couple of mm's will do). Next thing to check for is KOPS (knee over pedal spindle). IME it's best to be slightly behind (5mm's will usually suffice). If you're not comfortable checking or making these adjustments, ask your LBS to do so.

Some other things to be aware of:
- Keep a relatively loose grip on the bars. Many riders keep an excessively tight grip, and this can lead to numbness.

- Keep the upper body relaxed, and arms slightly bent.

- Consider good quality gloves. They can quell road harshness/ vibrations which, over a period of time can also cause numbness.

- As much as flat bars allow, occasionally change hand position/ wrist angle.

· turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
For what it's worth, I find that the stock grips on flat bars (such as my mountain bike) generally suck for me. Moving to something like a pair or Ergon's etc may help as well as all that's listed above.

· Vintage cyclist
1,005 Posts
I will get numb hands if:

** My saddle isn't angled a tad up at the nose, keeping me from scooting forward and putting more weight on my hands
** If I keep my hands in one position for a long time
** If my gloves are not padded enough
** If my bar is not padded enough (I use cork tape now)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.