Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In some local races, they've (promoters?) shouted @ the winners coming across the line "hands on the bars"..

other than safety issue - is there a usacycling rule for this?

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
bas said:
In some local races, they've (promoters?) shouted @ the winners coming across the line "hands on the bars"..

I have a teammate that was DQ'ed earlier this season for taking his hands off the bars at a finish in a race that he had won!

In Oregon, they have implemented the hands on the bars rule here when crossing the line. If you take them off before crossing the line...even if you are well ahead...it's a DQ.

Not that I would ever take may hands off the bars at a finish (I'm not that great of a bike handler with no hands on the bars)...but sometimes P.C. and Rider Safety is taken just a bit far. To my knowledge there was no precipitating event that led up to this new rule...they just implemented it.

Such is life I guess since you have to race under the rules presented by the sanctioning body.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is what USA Cycling has to say about it.

Dated June 2007

Taking the hands off the handlebars

About twice a year I get a report of a rider who won a race and was then disqualified for taking his hands off the bars for a victory salute. The problem with this is that the rule disallowing that went away at least 2 years ago. There is no rule that says you cannot take your hands off the handlebars anymore. We do have the following general rule:

1O7. Dangerous Rider. Any rider who appears to present a danger to the other competitors may be disqualified by the Chief Referee, either before or during a race.

My feeling is that a CR will have a hard time declaring a rider to be dangerous for taking hands off the bars if there is no incident. Clearly, if the rider takes his hands off the bars in a tight sprint, loses control of his bike, and causes a crash, then he did present a danger and can be dealt with accordingly. But please, if a rider is clear by a bike length and gives a two-handed victory salute and causes no issue, it is just petty to disqualify that rider. As a slow amateur rider for 15 years I can tell you that the dismally few moments of fleeting glory are what make the years of training worth it.

In summary, I would say that if a rider takes his hands off the bars in a victory salute, most of the time there should be nothing said about it, other than to congratulate the rider. If it was in a very close sprint where only for the grace of God did people not go down, then a warning is in order. If you disqualify or relegate the rider, I would also expect to be receiving an accident report along with the CR report.

That is about all I had for this one. I hope you are enjoying the spring.

Shawn Farrell

Technical Director
Some officials will still DQ or relegate you for taking your hands off the bars though. They either don't know there was a rule change or don't care.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
If...

bas said:

If you're several bike lengths ahead, let them fly. Other than that, keep them planted. Victory salutes are for the pros, and the weekend town line/county line sprints. There are lots of people who aren't nearly good enough bike handlers who win races, and then eat it at the line because they want to be like the pros and raise their hands in a salute. Hey, I know, it's exciting winning a race. Been there, done that. Is it worth your skin though?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Same thing happened to my friend a few years back. Won a crit by a comefortable margin and was DQ'ed for putting his hands in the air. Nearly every race I've been at since then there has been a mention of keeping hands on the bars through the finish, but it is always disguised as "our finish camera can't read the numbers if you sit up and if we can't read them you didn't finish". Not as direct as no celebrating, but lets them accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
batman1425 said:
Same thing happened to my friend a few years back. Won a crit by a comefortable margin and was DQ'ed for putting his hands in the air. Nearly every race I've been at since then there has been a mention of keeping hands on the bars through the finish, but it is always disguised as "our finish camera can't read the numbers if you sit up and if we can't read them you didn't finish". Not as direct as no celebrating, but lets them accomplish the same thing.

:idea: Wait until after you cross the finish line ;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
This is not a new development. It has been going on for at least 20 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.