Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hanging my bicycles for years in my garage without a problem. I now have a light weight wheelset and wonder if hanging them with the Kysrium Sl's is such a good idea. Bike is around 16.5lbs. Any thoughts?

· I am no Guide
571 Posts
fleck said:
the only bike that it could pose a problem to are those with hydrolic brakes or shocks.
It's my understanding that this only applies if there is air in the system.

Otherwise it is a closed system there is no where for the fluid to go...

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Thinking it through

KM1.8T said:
I have been hanging my bicycles for years in my garage without a problem. I now have a light weight wheelset and wonder if hanging them with the Kysrium Sl's is such a good idea. Bike is around 16.5lbs. Any thoughts?
If your bike's wheels can't stand the weight of the bike, how on earth do they stand up to the weight of you on the bike, hitting potholes, cold patch, and pavement cracks? Just asking. :)

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes sense to me. My only thought was that instead of forces being pushed against the spokes to the hub, they are being pulled. I realize not much weight involved and that is why I have eight bikes hanging in the garage, including the one with the Ksyriums. Better safe than sorry.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Yeah, I hang my bike by their Zipp 808's all the time.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Do not do it if
A: You plan to use the bike for chin ups.
B: You live on a planet that the average temperature is over 700 degrees.
C: Your garage is infested with weasels or Aardvarks.

24,573 Posts
That's even worse. Those bastids will climb up you leg and go for the neck. On the way up they tend to bite your tender bits also.

24,573 Posts
You got it..........Unless you have honey smeared on your tender bits.
If you do, I don't want to know why.

· Registered
738 Posts
fleck said:
fluids drain when the bike is hung like that.
Zinn did an article recently on that for velonews
If fluid leaks out of your hydro brakes, suspension fork or rear shock on an MTB there's something wrong. Nothing should EVER leak no matter which way you hang the bike.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Ricko said:
If fluid leaks out of your hydro brakes, suspension fork or rear shock on an MTB there's something wrong. Nothing should EVER leak no matter which way you hang the bike.
no offense Ricko, but i'll go with L Zinn's word on this one. now it Sheldon Brown arose to contradict him i'd take that as word of gospel.
it may not be that it leaks but that the fluid isn't where it should be and parts don't stay well lubricated. I don't know. Hydrolics are a bit a mystery to me. I've yet to try taking them apart to let my LBS put back together yet... someday...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.