Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like a good idea. Keeps kids, pets, autos, mowers away from bike. Guy at LBS said it's fine, but I'm not quite sure.

EDIT: I have two nice bikes I want to protect. If this was my kid's BMX, I wouldn't care one way or another.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hope it is, mine is hanging in there right now. It keeps it away from the kids and everything else in the garage. they can't knock it over or knock there bikes into it or anything else. it is either clipped to my feet or hanging from the ceiling.

·
Registered
583 Posts
During the summer months I live in an apartment that opens up into a barn. Several of my riding partners and I keep our bikes there, all hanging from the ceiling. Make sure the hooks are well secured, hang those puppies up and don't give it a second thought. Completely safe and sound.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
if I leave my bike on the floor in the garage, the little rodents come and chew up my bar tape.....They are attracted to the salt and chewey gel tape.. All the bike shops I have ever been in hang bikes so just assumed it was fine on top of the fact that I put more stress on the wheels riding it that ever could hanging it. BTW.....remember when you hit your head on it, YOU put it there...LOL.....(I speak from LOTS of experience!)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It's a bad idea to do this if you also use the handlebars to do "chin-ups" from.
Don't overthink it. Just do it.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Take care in taking the bike down. It's possible to drop it onto the roof of your car. I know. Whether you cry because of bike damage or car damage depends on your priorities :D

If you hang the bikes on both wheels, reverse one bike. That way you can space them much closer than if hang them bar-to-bar.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
wim said:
Take care in taking the bike down. It's possible to drop it onto the roof of your car. I know. Whether you cry because of bike damage or car damage depends on your priorities :D

If you hang the bikes on both wheels, reverse one bike. That way you can space them much closer than if hang them bar-to-bar.

You put cars in the garage??????????

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
You put cars in the garage??????????
Well, one car. All my junk is in the barn and in an old lean-to shed.

But I know what you're saying. Someone years ago published a book of photographs of garages crammed full of junk. Some of the photos looked like intersting abstract art. There was no way to identify one single object.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
When I built my garage my wife argued that it was going to be big enough....right..........there is no such thing!
During the winter I can get two vehicles in if I want to, but my truck sits out normally. One bay is the tractor with rear blade and loader....takes up a considerable chunk of space.I need to have my "snow removal" ready to go well before dawn so my family can get out in the morning...... Then the other end is her car so she doesn't have to scrape windows.
I am just too lazy to open the door to put mine in (I bought her an opener for x-mas a few years ago, but can't put one on the center bay (mine) because I have a trap door and a winch to the second floor to move heavy stuff in and out. My bike doesn't "over-winter" in the garage anyhow, it lives in the heated bedroom...LOL....on a training stand.
A picture of my garage would show all kinds of big yard and garden tools, lawn-mowers and GARBAGE...that should have never been saved in the first place. As it is I am not allowed to go to the dump alone any more, sometimes I bring home more than I left with....LOL...I got a mini-2 stroke roto tiller one day for 10 dollars....another 10 for an air cleaner put it in good shape, so I sold it to a friend for what I had in it! I already had one!
This may be a little "thread drifty"...LOL but stream of babble is how I think..............
I suppose if I didn't have my bike hanging DEAD CENTER I might not smack my head on it so often!

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
someone should invite fixed to put pics of HIS garage... now THATs what a garage should look like...

·
Registered
841 Posts
NDNFO said:
It seems like a good idea. Keeps kids, pets, autos, mowers away from bike. Guy at LBS said it's fine, but I'm not quite sure.

EDIT: I have two nice bikes I want to protect. If this was my kid's BMX, I wouldn't care one way or another.
What's your concern exactly?

Most hardware stores sell sturdy and inexpensive steel j-hooks with rubber coating on the j part. If you have solid anchoring material (e.g., beams) on the ceiling, you have an inexpensive way to install efficient and dependable bike hangars from your ceiling. You can hang a bike vertically from one hook or (with the right sized hooks), horizontally from two.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
funknuggets said:
someone should invite fixed to put pics of HIS garage... now THATs what a garage should look like...

a neat and clean garage is the sign of a sick mind....that is why I hang my bikes....to isolate them from the mess!

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
dfleck said:
even clinchers can get flat spots if they spend too much time in one position.
proof of this or was this just something you heard? Until I hear proof I call BS.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
what if.........

i tghtened the release on my pedals all the way....and clip in whilst the bike was hanging.....it would be like inversion therapy!

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
like Cedric....

I had a bat living in my garage one summer, I named him Cedric....and I had a Bard Owl move in once too....he didn't stay long enough to name.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
wim said:
This is what happens if you use the ceiling to stop a rotating wheel before you hook it. A sad record indeed of putting the well-being of bicycles before pride of home and hearth!
I have more than one tire mark on my walls going up the stairs to my room.....shoot man, they're just walls, nothing paint can't fix....lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.