Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· I Type, Therefore I Am
1,842 Posts
I have four bikes hanging from the Performace version of the "Solo" above and just mounted a hoist this weekend for the kid's trailer that was taking up way too much floor space in the garage. All work fine. If you can lift your bike over your head (and my wife can lift her Cannondale) then you will have no problem using the wall hooks. Those $0.59 hooks from Home Depot work great too as the other poster mentioned. Just depends on your storage situation.

· Registered
102 Posts
I also bought the hooks from Home Depot and they work like a dream. They were cheap and built strong. I wanted two bikes on one wall in the garage so a holder where a bike is not hanging next to the wall wouldn't work.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks . My garage cieling is about 15 feet and I can't reach it with out a step stool.
The wall hanger looks like a better bet. Anyone else have any experience? What about any potential wear to the rim?

· Registered
9,274 Posts
tpcrider said:
Thanks . My garage cieling is about 15 feet and I can't reach it with out a step stool.
I've got the same problem. Really high ceiling in the garage. It takes an extension ladder to reach the ceiling. I ended up building a 10'x12' shed in the back yard. It cost just a little more than the home depot hooks, but it's great for the mountain, cruiser, tandem and kid bikes. The road bikes still go in the house.

The Solo thing looks cool, but I'm assuming you could do the same with the home depot hooks screwed on a 2x4 and nailed to the wall in the garage. Angle the hooks down a little to get the same effect. A lot cheaper and probably would work

· Registered
56 Posts
tpcrider said:
The wall hanger looks like a better bet. Anyone else have any experience? What about any potential wear to the rim?
So screw the $0.59 jobbers into the wall instead of the ceiling. Walls have studs, and if there isn't a stud where you need it, bridge two or more studs with a horizontal 2x4 and screw into it.

[Edit: what KJohnson said]

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I've always been a bit leery of hanging bikes by the wheels. Don't know why. I've never done it in the 19 years I've been riding.

I have a Supergo rack now that holds the bikes by the TT.

I've made something similar out of plywood and drilled em into the studs on the garage walls and/or the joists in the ceiling.

M

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
MShaw said:
I've always been a bit leery of hanging bikes by the wheels. Don't know why. I've never done it in the 19 years I've been riding.
Hanging bikes by the wheels won't hurt a thing. Don't you think that any wheel capable of holding your weight (and the bike's weight) while riding will be plenty strong enough to hold the weight of just the bike?

· your text here
13,203 Posts
i have used pretty much every style; hook in wall, hook in ceiling, hoist, single flip-up/down rack that drills into wall, suspension bike rack that holds 2 bikes (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=1274&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=). they all work equally well, depending on your needs.

you could also make your own hoist. i made one for my kayak outta two hooks, two pulleys, two ropes, and two nautical rope anhors i drilled into the wall. if i can get that 80 pound touring kayak up myself, you can get your bike up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.