Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two frames from a buddy today that I can start turning wrenches on. I just rebuilt a Centurion in the exact same color in a 62cm for a friend. The Peugeot has got a fair amount of surface rust and paint chips, anyone ever do a touch up job that looked good? If not, I am definitely considering stripping it and repainting. Anyone direct me to the best thread regarding how to do that? Has anyone been able to do a good paint job themselves or is it one of those things best left to the professionals? any tips?

· Registered
168 Posts
Go to the thread in Retro about the Schwinn Traveler that SteveH repainted. He did a beautiful job. He has a thread somewhere around here detailing how he did it. He did put a link in the thread I started on "Schwinn Traveler Project".

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kpcw said:
Please make certain that those Peugeot forks ain't the ones famous for breaking.

(I could be making the whole thing up).
This boat anchor feels like it could weather a steamrollers best efforts, I bet it weighs at least 8lbs..... I will look into the fork though.

· here comes trouble
10,049 Posts
That centurion frame is better looking than I expected it to be (well, except for the funny looking reflector). Of course, since I ride teeny frames I think small frames = prettier because they don't have giant headtubes. But there is definitely some bias. :)

· Registered
5,196 Posts
The Peugeot

Watch out for cast aluminum forks, known as "the death fork", were on Viscounts and an earlier pre-Yamaha Viscount model. Sheldon Brown's site has some history on them. Is the color of the Peugeot an off white or vanilla? Hard to go wrong with powdercoat. Cycleart might be able to get you a set of decals, but sometimes they are p*ckerheads about selling stuff like that, they will want to do the restore, saying if we start selling decals, the market will be flooded with counterfeit bicycles and our name will be muddied as a result. But if you did not care if you have the frog decals on the bike and just want to redue the frame, me thinks I would go antique white with a gloss black headtube, bridges, and 6" band on the seat tube, line the lugs with gold paint and find some gold foil stripping at a hobby shop and contrast small gold bands on the seat tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.