Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I have 3 Merckx's, and named my Doberman Eddy in homage to the great one.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Happy Birthday, you old doper.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts
Happy birthday Eddy. But just remember, in your own words, "No gifts!"

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The Gretzky of cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Or is it the Barry Bonds of pro cycling?
Well at the time, blood doping, injecting a pint of rider's blood just before the race, was legal. Eddy was a genetic freak. None of the other riders could match him. He could breakaway, put so much time on the chasers they'd never catch him, and win races like it was just a day's work. We all embraced the unattainable dream that someday we'd be able to ride just like him. :) No rider since has dominated pro racing so completely, not even Lance. He always keyed on one race, the big money maker, TDF. Eddy won races all season long, and still won the TDF! That's character. Lance had none of that, as it turned out. :frown2:

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
The first bike of my dreams was what Eddy rode! Still have it. What else is there to say?

He's the greatest. The Muhammed Ali of professional cycling!
I still have my MX Leader, many bikes have come and gone but that one stays. It's on its second paint job. I bought it in late 1998 after selling my Litespeed Classic.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I still have my MX Leader, many bikes have come and gone but that one stays. It's on its second paint job. I bought it in late 1998 after selling my Litespeed Classic.
When we were riding in the early 80s, Merckx bikes had a great reputation among the competitive riders. They did everything so well, just like Eddy! By chance, after buying a DeRosa Professional at a LBS, I found out Hugo and Eddy were tight. Eddy was riding DeRosa at the time and followed Hugo's design philosophy. The only thing Merckx got rid of were the flat fork crowns. He preferred the slightly stiffer semi sloping crowns, more suitable for his style of riding. :shocked:

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
When we were riding in the early 80s, Merckx bikes had a great reputation among the competitive riders. They did everything so well, just like Eddy! By chance, after buying a DeRosa Professional at a LBS, I found out Hugo and Eddy were tight. Eddy was riding DeRosa at the time and followed Hugo's design philosophy. The only thing Merckx got rid of were the flat fork crowns. He preferred the slightly stiffer semi sloping crowns, more suitable for his style of riding. :shocked:
That would be Ugo DeRosa, and in my understanding he was instrumental in helping Merckx get his facilities up and running.

I think that they also had some kind of agreement about the selling of bicycles in each others market, but I can't substantiate this.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I just checked and it looks like Eddy started up manufacturing frames in 1980. They only made the steel frames in Belgium from what I know. The Ti frames were made by Litespeed and the Scandium frames were Italian and painted in Belgium. My only steel Merckx is a TT frame from 1985 I believe, but it must have been a custom. For a big guy with a long torso and arms. Tubing is flattened TSX. Race # hanger.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
The steel frames were built on the same Bike Machinery brazing carousel that De Rosa, Colnago, Podium (CIOCC, Rossin, Concorde), and Billato all used. They welded aluminum in Belgium. Some early carbon was made in Italy.
People who should know have told me they welded titanium as well. I am sceptical, but Ugo de Rosa welded ti so maybe Merckx's people did too.
My only real regret in life: having Eddy ask me if I wanted him to make me a frame and I said no. Chance of a lifetime and I blew it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts