Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't really planning on buying a new bike this week, BUT, everything lined up for me.

My taxes weren't as bad as I thought they might be, I had the whole week off to test ride frames.

I test rode Scott Speedster, Specialized Dolce, Comp, Specialized Allez, Giant TCR (was nice, Ultegra, on sale, but more than I was wanting to spend by a good bit), Fuji Finest 2.0 (my least favorite), and Trek 2.3.

My husband has been scouring Craig's list for a few weeks, but I wasn't really convinced I was buying anything just yet. Then he found exactly what I was looking for literally 5 minutes from my house.

SO.....

I bought a 2007 Scott Speedster Contessa (women's geometry). Owner said it had about 100 miles on it. 5 rides. So it's basically brand new. It looks brand new. I can't find a thing wrong with it. I paid less than half of what the 2009 was going for at my LBS.

My wish list was:
Lighter than my current bike (a Giant FCR3)
105 group set
carbon seat post
carbon fork

I got everything I was looking for. I got it home, immediately took off the white saddle and white handlebar tape, and replaced it with my current saddle and black bar tape. Gave it a bath. Rode it around and made a few fit adjustments. Ran up to the bike shop and bought a set of pedals, some bottle holders (I went with black... what do ya think?) and a tiny set of lights so I'm street legal after dark. I don't plan on riding this bike in the dark, but, just in case, I'm covered, technically.

I put my old saddle back on my Giant, and will continue to use it for commuting, which is what the bike is great at.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! New bike!! I can't wait to get up tomorrow and ride (my last day of vacation)!

What it looked like when I got it:

Now:

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
Fine bike. Jump on it and go.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
one of the guys in my office has an '06? S40(the tiagra model) and the bike is
stiff, jumps when you jump, quiet, stable and fast. it's a great value at
it's normal retail price, so you got a great deal.

if i was to start racing crits, the speedster w/105 would be my choice; fast, efficient
and no worries if i wreck.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
You're seat is too low . . . Oh no, never mind, wrong forum.
Congrats, you'll have no regrets, enjoy.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
You're going to be a happy girl. Report back after the ride.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Sweet! Ride the wheels off that thing!

:thumbsup:

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
looks sweet. probably got a good deal on the 100 miles...

as far as teh bottles cages, i guess they match teh saddle and tape. but you should pimp it out. i liked the whites, and white cages might be cool. or, if you could find them, some cages to match the maroon.

back when my lil brother bought his bridgestone (now my fixie) in 1988, the shop had rows of cages that were the same color as the teal. i still have one of the cages on teh bike. when it gets repainted, im gonna have them do the cages and stem...

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
congrats on the new to you bike. Gotta love it when people buy something and never use it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Oh man - its dangerous when you have an enabler in the house. Congrats and "ride it like you stole it" you did - in a very legal way.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That is a strange position of handlebar and STI :) Are you sure you got it properly set up?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Very nice looking bike.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
immerle said:
Very cool.
Enjoy.

Is that a parrot in one of your pix?
Does he yell encouragement when your on the trainer?
That is a ferret cage you see in the picture. We have two ferrets: Boodreaux and Tibideaux. They are cajun ferrets =).

They chase us around the house keeping us in good shape!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
smokva said:
That is a strange position of handlebar and STI :) Are you sure you got it properly set up?
Ya, it looks a little strange. I'm used to bullhorns, aimed pretty sharply upward. This feels comfortable to me, though.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
weltyed said:
but you should pimp it out. i liked the whites, and white cages might be cool. or, if you could find them, some cages to match the maroon.
Kind of what I was thinking - Maroon cages to match the decals would rock. Minor point, and a very nice score. Happy birfday!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Great looking bike! BTW, happy birthday.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts