Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all fellow wheelists. I just wanted to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and thank all of you who have helped me and given me confidence to take up wheel building. This is something I couldn't have imagined doing just two years ago. The wheelset I built this past winter now has 3,000 miles and going strong. The rear was very slightly out of true at 2,000 miles which I corrected. I think I know what I did wrong there. The front never needed any corrections. SAFE TRAVELS TO ALL!

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Very thoughtful of you, Lombard, to start this thread.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Nice, happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well. Glad your wheels are working out so well, great job!

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I'm in Canada and we gave thanks back on October 10th. I guess we decided to be thankful before you'se 'Mericans did. :D But what the heck, there's nothing wrong with being thankful twice eh?

I'm thankful that I'm still alive & kickin' enough to help people get started in wheelbuilding.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I'm in Canada and we gave thanks back on October 10th. I guess we decided to be thankful before you'se 'Mericans did. :D But what the heck, there's nothing wrong with being thankful twice eh?

I'm thankful that I'm still alive & kickin' enough to help people get started in wheelbuilding.
Mike, I've used your advice when building wheels, so thanks doing for that. I was curious about the history of Canadian Thanksgiving so I had to look it up. Originally it was 6 November, but moved to the second Monday in October in 1957. Of course we'd already been doing the Thanksgiving thing here down south for 200 years before Canada started in 1879.

I am trying to figure out how many miles it it take to burn off all the food and booze I will consume today

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Interesting about Canadian T-Day being a month and a half earlier. I didn't know about this until I started vacationing up in the maritime provinces in 2000. I was in Newfoundland in a restaurant for dinner and was invited to join a table there. In a conversation, I mentioned our Columbus Day (a.k.a. Indigenous Peoples Day). When I told them when that is, they told me that's their Thanksgiving Day. Possible coincidence or some connection? Have you ever been up there, Mike? If so, have you ever had a jiggs dinner? Heart attack on a plate, but delicious!

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Interesting about Canadian T-Day being a month and a half earlier. I didn't know about this until I started vacationing up in the maritime provinces in 2000. I was in Newfoundland in a restaurant for dinner and was invited to join a table there. In a conversation, I mentioned our Columbus Day (a.k.a. Indigenous Peoples Day). When I told them when that is, they told me that's their Thanksgiving Day. Possible coincidence or some connection? Have you ever been up there, Mike? If so, have you ever had a jiggs dinner? Heart attack on a plate, but delicious!
No I've never been but my neighbors next door go every year. My son went last year for the first time and raved about it - as I knew he would. He was going on about eating scunchions and toutons or something or other. Wherever he goes he always takes part in the local cuisine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Been tempted a few times but time is something that is in short supply. Need to build up another wheelset soon (struggling with my rim decision...if only tubeless rims were not so hard to wrestle tire on to) and I'll probably go with a bit of flash...maybe purple T11 hubs, for my new frame. Happy Holidays! Oh, Happy Holidays encompasses Thanksgiving and Christmas, and every holiday in between so it's basically Merry christmas on steroids.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts