Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called these guys for some direction on a wheelset for my fat ass. Frankly if I owned the business i'd tell them they spent too much time on a customer they knew was only going to spend $200 or so.

Even trued/tensioned the wheel before sending it out (said this was important given my weight) and wrote as much on the box with a date!

I know they're not a true custom wheelbuilder per-se but wow i'm impressed.

40lbs from now i'll be getting another wheelset, likely a good bit more expensive, and those guys will be my first stop.

Job well done Velomine.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It sounds like he spent some time on the phone (in person?) consulting with them about budget wheels, and when they decided on a set of factory wheels, they took a few minutes to true and tension them before sending them out.

I suppose with budget factory wheels, this is probably a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I often buy tires from these guys and have always received good service from them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I fairly sure they are a real brick & mortar store. They have been selling components for years - I've never heard a bad word said. Stand up folks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't understand. Wouldn't that be done when the wheel was built? Arguably it's kinda the most important part.
Not their standard procedure. Bought a set of wheels from them when I had no idea what I was buying. They were 36 spoked which was what I thought I needed but spokes kept coming loose. Read Mikes book and retensioned and stress relieved and it is now a reliable set of spare wheels

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Then they're not wheelbuilders. They're just people who put wheel parts together and leave the more important stuff to others.
Which is what Velomine did. jacksdad was not praising the company who assembled the wheels, he was praising Velomine who did the important stuff providing good customer service.

They provided a wheelset meeting a pricepoint and they tuned those wheels so that they would give good service for their customer, still meeting the pricepoint.

Not everyone is so inclined to build their own wheels, nor does everyone have the discretionary income to spend on a higher end wheel build. Velomine sold a product that they ensured would be satisfactory, at a price that someone wanted to pay, while absorbing the cost, in man hours, to be able to do that by "finishing the build".

I have bought products from Velomine, as have others that have posted here, and from my experience and the sounds what others have to say, they are a good company to do business with.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Then they're not wheelbuilders. They're just people who put wheel parts together and leave the more important stuff to others.
Bike shop. I am under the impression (although not sure) they built some high end custom sets in house and have associations with wheel builders for the rest.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Which is what Velomine did. jacksdad was not praising the company who assembled the wheels, he was praising Velomine who did the important stuff providing good customer service.

They provided a wheelset meeting a pricepoint and they tuned those wheels so that they would give good service for their customer, still meeting the pricepoint.

Not everyone is so inclined to build their own wheels, nor does everyone have the discretionary income to spend on a higher end wheel build. Velomine sold a product that they ensured would be satisfactory, at a price that someone wanted to pay, while absorbing the cost, in man hours, to be able to do that by "finishing the build".

I have bought products from Velomine, as have others that have posted here, and from my experience and the sounds what others have to say, they are a good company to do business with.
+1...good experience with them getting what I needed to get my Chorus group from them....still kicking myself for not picking up their last Zabel blue Master last week. Didn't think I could make the switch from 52 to 53.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I've bought quite a bit from them. Great service every time. A few years ago they had a special deal for an all alloy Athena group with NOS alloy UT cranksets. I built up a classic steel GT with that group. From speaking with them, they hand build special wheelsets and stock many prebuilt wheelsets from suppliers. I like the fact that they stock Miche box hubs and sell wheelsets with them. A nice, underappreciated hub at a killer price.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've bought some expensive stuff from them in the past (including Campy Record EPS groupset). They are great to deal with, and best to call them live than order on their website.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand Mike T's perspective on this and appreciate that he is out there promoting DIY on this. It's certainly something I might like to learn down the road. I also believe there is a place for shops like this particularly with a guy like me who doesn't need super high end low spoke wheels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts