• 1. Gamer over...head home

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 2. No quitting...just do it

Votes: 32 78.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was wayyyy off. When you have one of those days, do you persist and do your loop or do you cut it short and head back?

Today I persisted and did my 30 miles but the whole time I was on that edge of a hamstring and calf cramp. It was a slow slugging ride because I just couldn't get into a groove either. :(

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Mmm this one needs a choice for "depends"

What's the rest of my week look like? What's my past few days / weeks of training look like? What's my next target event? Am I tired because of obvious reason X?

But in your case, I woulda bagged it.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
As was mentioned it depends on what your goals are and why your legs are cooked.

If it's part of a hard week shift to an easier gear and spin your way through the ride. You still get the work in, just not at the higher level you wanted.

I've done this before on weeks where I have had 2 races earlier in the week. I'll go on my long hill route and my legs are just toast...so I'll back off the speed and keep my HR down (usually keep it under 140-145 bpm) and just spin through the ride. It takes a bit longer, but I generally feel better the next day...which in this case is usually a rest day off the bike.

If you are a recreational rider who is just out for the fun of it and your legs are cooked from riding a bunch. Bag it for the day and do something else.

· Registered
380 Posts
I experienced something similar today. Last night I drilled it hard in the Tuesday Night training crit, chasing a break for 5 laps, redlined the whole way, until I caught on (and then I sprinted for 3rd). Today I was planning to do 3 hours, but my quads had other ideas. I decided to cut it a little short and only did a little over 2 hours instead. Sometimes I listen to my body and sometimes I tell it to HTFU.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Life's easier since I became a recreational rider

Four or five years ago I read something disparaging about "middle aged recreational riders," and I was silently agreeing--until it dawned on me that I WAS a middle-aged recreational rider. I'm never going to race again, and I don't care if teen-age girls pass me on the climbs. Basically I ride for enjoyment, with fitness as a bonus, and my goal isn't to be the first one up the hill on Saturday, but to still be able to climb the hill when I'm 75. I do exactly as much as I feel like, plus maybe a little to see if I still can. I rarely give up on a ride, but I don't worry at all if my average speed is down two or three or four miles per hour.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My left leg had other ideas about the ride obviously. Usually I keep at it and the kinks work out, not this ride. I kinda had an idea my legs would be tired and debated a tennis shoe ride on the MTB but I grabbed the road bike instead.:rolleyes5:

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I've never bagged a ride. I'll slow down and soft pedal for a while. Sit up and drink some. Just get my brain back in gear. If I have leg cramps, I'll take a rest stop and stretch, but I have never just quit.

· Registered
28 Posts
Milwaukee rider

I've only quit a ride twice, once, tooo hungover, and the second was a few days ago in 100% humidity, couldn't breath and was sweating like a fat man at a buffet. Normally bad days smooth out in about 5miles and then the "inner" biker takes over :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Barring severe overtraining and sleep\nutrition factors, which you should already
be controlling, I have found that I usually feel very strong the first couple of miles.
I have made a concerted effort to hold back during this stage, because I seem to
hit a minor wall miles 3-10, then flatten out and become fully acclimitized to riding
after around 10 miles. Cytomax really helped me to 'hit the zone' and maintain
a higher, steadier level of performance. YMMV

· Registered
3,866 Posts
I never cut a ride short unless I bonk or get ill. Of course I don't go up the hills as fast as I used to. I'm probably ass backwards. I upped my mileage and cut back on the intensity.
I try to make my riding as fun as possible. I usually stop mid-ride in a shady spot and just enjoy the splendor of nature.

· Registered
92 Posts
If you find the urge to cut it, think about why your riding, obviously you have some motivation to be out there riding, just rethink what motivation it is and reclear your head and set out, if you cant find that reason go home, theres nothing wrong with stopping

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.