Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, Jens gets all the love. But he's actually won big races. I'm talking about the guys that are perhaps just as tough, but never get any press or glory.

Here's one example: José Luis Arrieta

"He turned pro with Banesto in 1993 and stayed with the set-up until signing for Ag2r in 2006. An extremely dependable domestique, he has just two pro victories to his credit: a stage in the 2006 Vuelta a España and another in the 2002 Tour of Asturias."

He rode with Indurain during Miguel's Banesto TdF wins.

"By a quirk of fate, Arrieta’s career has ended in exactly the same place as his former Banesto team-mate, Miguel Indurain. Five-time Tour champion Indurain quit cycling when he abandoned on the Lagos de Covadonga stage of the 1996 Vuelta. Arrieta’s knee trouble forced him to quit at the foot of the same climb on stage 14 of this year’s race."

"Arrieta’s Vuelta abandon was only the second time he has failed to finish a grand tour in 23 starts"

What's the Spanish equivalent of "chapeau" ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Chapeau really just means hat, as in coup de chapeau (tip of the hat). Not sure if there's a one word Spanish equivalent... I do know it ain't sombrero!

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
me quito el sombrero

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a Henk Vogels fan. 2006 RvV. He's Van Petegem's wingman. Wheel change - chases back on and gets back to the front. Deraileur breaks, bike change, chases back on. Has to run up the Koppenburg at the back of the bunch, chases back on and goes up to the front. He and Wim Van Sevanant make sure PvP is at the front for the Muur de Grammont who goes on to takes 5th I think. Not sure Vogels even finished but that wasn't his job.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I guess we should include Ezequiel Mosquera before it's too late!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Another guy that's known but not outside of the 1999-2005 TdF- Pavel Pardnos. Anybody the pro peloton dubs "The Butcher" gets my nod.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Ponte Duro !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts