Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bearded Biker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a lurker chiming in with a shifting problem. It seems that when the weather gets below 40* my Shimano Deore 9spd index shifters are really sluggish.....mostly its the thumb side. I have replaced the cables and housing, they work good when its warm! Can I grease the inside of the shifters?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Do you think it's the shifters, cables or der? You might check your cable routing for binding or snags. I ride in pretty much all weather, including temps into the teens. I haven't had a problem. I just make sure my drive train, (chain, cables, ders. etc.) is very clean & well lubed. Sorry I can't offer anything more concrete than that.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Maybe you should ask this in the technical forum? Or just go to your local bike shop....

·
Registered
15 Posts
YEM said:
Just a lurker chiming in with a shifting problem. It seems that when the weather gets below 40* my Shimano Deore 9spd index shifters are really sluggish.....mostly its the thumb side. I have replaced the cables and housing, they work good when its warm! Can I grease the inside of the shifters?
Yes you can, and I've found they need it every few years. I have XT RapidFire, so I don't know exactly what the difference is in design. But there are about 20 moving parts inside the shifters, and the light grease gets stiff after a few seasons.

I just did this to my RapidFires last week. A couple of screws to take it apart, and then four or five pieces made up the 'clamshell' case (make a diagram cuz getting it together isn't obvious). Inside, there's a coil spring that is critical to the workings of the thing. (If the spring breaks, your shifter is DOA.... unless you can kludge up a replacement; I did this a few years ago with a 2" length of shifter cable.)

Flush out all the parts with brake cleaner or solvent, to remove the hardened grease. Re-grease liberally, make sure it shifts cleanly (up and down), and reassemble. If it's simply sluggish from cold weather, that's probably the fix.

-- Mark

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
YEM said:
Thanks Mark! Thats what I thought I should do. I cleaned it before I left work for the ride home so I guess some grease today is what ill do.....Peace
Make sure you dry everything well before you grease and assemble. You might even go as far as blasting it with WD40, followed by a good wiping and then the grease.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts