Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of Campy Vento to use as my everyday wheelset. But...whoa...I am having one heck of a time getting my Michelin ProRace tires onto the rims. I replace the plastic rim tape with Velox, but even that isn't enough. Any suggestions? My concern is flatting out in the middle of nowhere and being stranded 'cause I can't get the tire onto the rim.

A thought....I've heard about Neutron wheels (maybe all Campy wheels) being a pain to mount tires on. I've also heard about Michelin tires being a pain to mount. Did I just try to mount the toughest tire onto one of the toughest rims?? Do I need to change tire brands??

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
PaulCL said:
I just bought a pair of Campy Vento to use as my everyday wheelset. But...whoa...I am having one heck of a time getting my Michelin ProRace tires onto the rims. I replace the plastic rim tape with Velox, but even that isn't enough. Any suggestions? My concern is flatting out in the middle of nowhere and being stranded 'cause I can't get the tire onto the rim.

A thought....I've heard about Neutron wheels (maybe all Campy wheels) being a pain to mount tires on. I've also heard about Michelin tires being a pain to mount. Did I just try to mount the toughest tire onto one of the toughest rims?? Do I need to change tire brands??
Michelin are some of the hardest tires to mount and Campy has some of the shallowest rims - bad combination. Try other tires (since I assume you want to keep the rims). Vreds are one of the loosest. - TF

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
time to go shopping

TurboTurtle said:
Michelin are some of the hardest tires to mount and Campy has some of the shallowest rims - bad combination. Try other tires (since I assume you want to keep the rims). Vreds are one of the loosest. - TF
That's what I thought. Got a credit in PayPal and I'm gonna have to use it!

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
pretend like you're Mr T. and go for it

"I pity the rim that don't like my tire" Uhhh!!!

the old Specialized Turbo R's in the 700X18 size were also quite fun.

least its raining...what else ya gonna do?

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
here is a suggestion which may or may not work for you

I have used a tire lever, sometimes 2, to pry the tire onto the rim. The lever I used was a Quik Stik. I know this isn't standard practice but I've yet to pinch a tube. It beats gnarling up your palm.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
i recently bought the campy proton wheelset and had a tough time mounting the michelin pro2 race. anyway, i had my first puncture yesterday and surprisingly enough, removing and re-mounting the pro2 race was quite a lot easier than when mounting new tyres. took me less than 3 minutes to put in a new tube.

boon

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have the eurus set and use to use michelin tires. i was referred to kenda kaliente but was skeptical b/c ppl told me they did not like kenda's. ive used the kaliente's for the past 6 months- and have only flatted them a couple times. easiest tire to get on campy rims- period; they rock.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
boon said:
i recently bought the campy proton wheelset and had a tough time mounting the michelin pro2 race. anyway, i had my first puncture yesterday and surprisingly enough, removing and re-mounting the pro2 race was quite a lot easier than when mounting new tyres. took me less than 3 minutes to put in a new tube.

boon
while I don't ride with spare tires I've ridden with people who do. As their spare is usually new they said they premounted and took it off a couple times to make changing on the road easier.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done the same

My Neuvations wheels are a b**ch to get Michelins onto. Eventually, I was able to squeeze them on. When I've flatted on the road, usually the tires are warm enough or stretched enough that changing isn't a big deal. But with these Campy rims, I can't even come close to mounting the tires. Can't mount them even with tire levers. On the other hand, I had very little problem mounting an old set of Vittoria Corsa tires. I'm not overly thrilled with Michelins anyway...I think I may try Vredesteins.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
good levers..

as a previous poster noted, a slik-stick is cool as are the steel-cored
soma-fab levers, i carry the traditional metal levers, pedros milk levers
and a slik-stick in my fanny-pack. generally i can mount/dismount tires
with my hands, learned by watching the wrenches at the local shop.
for tough tires like the michelins(i have the pro2race) what you need is
patience, practice and proper technique.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Yeah, Campy and Michelins just don't get along AT ALL. It's just a pain. I can do it, but ita takes a lot of work. I got some s-bend tire levers with more leverage, and that helped.

I had much more success with Open Corsas.

PS -- I PMed you about 11speed.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Although I've really enjoyed the Michelin Pro2 Race and am prepared to put up with the tough first mount on campy wheels, i am presently contemplating moving to Conti GP Attack/Force combo. has anyone tried these tyres on campy wheels, and just generally, how do they compare to the Pro2 Race?

boon

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just responed

Argentius said:
Yeah, Campy and Michelins just don't get along AT ALL. It's just a pain. I can do it, but ita takes a lot of work. I got some s-bend tire levers with more leverage, and that helped.

I had much more success with Open Corsas.

PS -- I PMed you about 11speed.
I found that cussing a lot while trying to mount Michelins still doesn't help...it makes me feel good, my wife mad, my kids blush and giggle...but the damn things still wont' go on the rim.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Michelins are tough

I gave up on them. I recently tried Conti's GP 4000 and couldn't get those on either. It might be physically possible but it just isn't worth the frustration and getting my thumbprints rubbed off trying to pry the tires on.

Vittoria Open Corsas are easy to get on. I don't even need tire levers.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
PaulCL said:
I found that cussing a lot while trying to mount Michelins still doesn't help...it makes me feel good, my wife mad, my kids blush and giggle...but the damn things still wont' go on the rim.
BTW - I still think the best solution is to use deep rims, like Open Pros, and not worry about what tire you use.

Any other good deep rims? (This should be a rim/wheel specification.)

TF

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tires

PaulCL said:

Vittoria Diamate Pros- problem solved . they will go on by hand on most wheels and they ride almost like tubies.I had michelins once and couldnt get them off the wheel. Cut them off and threw them in the trash.
Chris V.
Fort Worth

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Easy rims

TurboTurtle said:
BTW - I still think the best solution is to use deep rims, like Open Pros, and not worry about what tire you use. Any other good deep rims?
Velocity Aerohead - I can easily dismount a Conti GP 3000 with no tire irons. With Campy rims, it took 2 tire irons. There is an incentive to make the spoke bed diameter as large as possible because it adds strength to the rim section, all else equal. This larger diameter is what makes tires hard to mount.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If ya use enough of dat there KY jelly, ya-all kin park a Cadilac in a dawg house, Lemme tell ya what....
(Larry the Cable Guy)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts