Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The rear wheel of a Dutch city bike with a flat on said wheel and the owner insisting on a new tube. 30 minutes to get it out of the frame, 2 minutes to fix the flat, 30 minutes to get everything all back the way it was.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Great answer, Wim. Internal gear?

A modern bike is pretty straightforward. My problem child is headsets, in the sense of installation / replacement. Press fits without proper reamers and facers are fussy. And I always seem to cut the headset to exactly the 'right' length, rather than the mm or two short that it should be.

With proper tools it's nothing, but I haven't been able to justify them yet.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
On a modern multi speed bike with integrated shifters, sealed bearings, current tech for crank, headset, etc....

Front derailleur. Almost everything else is just plug and play to me. But FD's actually need some thought, experience and often tweeking to get right.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Cheap bikes the neighborhood kids have.

My kisd bike has all the hand-me-down parts from my stuff and shifts flawlessly. The friends bikes? Not so much. Some of it is a real pain. Especially after the 7-10 year old boys get done destroying it.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
The fix will take 10 minutes. 20 if you watch. 40 if you help...
I adjusted a friends front derailleur yesterday and when I was done I was running through all the gear changes to make sure it was shifting properly. Next thing I know he's at the rear derailleur turning the barrel adjuster. I'm like, WTF are you doing. :mad2:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Cheap bikes the neighborhood kids have.

My kisd bike has all the hand-me-down parts from my stuff and shifts flawlessly. The friends bikes? Not so much. Some of it is a real pain. Especially after the 7-10 year old boys get done destroying it.
When i was a kid I was constantly wrenching on my bike. I think I stripped every nut and bolt on my "Raleigh Chopper" before I got too big for it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,554 Posts
Overhaul of old XTR "V" brakes that had many many tiny ball bearings at the pivot points.....That and the overhaul of the Dura Ace 7700 bottom bracket. Tiny ball bearings AND roller bearing that have to be cleaned and regreased (and not dropped on the floor)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I enjoy working on bikes, and welcome the complications that come with it. My pet peeve is aligning components like shifters and stems. Every time I see an off centered stem or feel an uneven hood while riding, it makes me want to stop and fix it. Sometimes, the simplest jobs are the hardest hahaha! Does that count?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.