Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a problem on the front rim with squeal..

I toe in my pads by putting the card in between the rim and pad on the back side (towards the rear of the bike) and tighten the pads down -but still get the loud SQUEAL!!!

The rear was fine - until I wore the pads out (not fun flying down a hill and running up on an SUV) - so I put new pads on last night. I toed them IN (with the card behind).

pad = p, card = c, r = rim

front of bike
prp
prp
prp
prp
prp
pcrcp
pcrcp

rear of bike

I don't have to ring any bells when passing people - just lay out a brake squeal to scare them..ARGH..

This is on some shimano rims.. I never had problems on my other rims - and i never tried toeing anything - and they were quiet.

I squeeze the brake lever when tightening the bolts down on the pads so they won't move from the adjusted position.

ARGH :mad2:

seems like other people have these types of problems here.. crap

thoughts/suggestions?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
There's another thread on this forum. Scroll down a little & read that. It has some other suggestions.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
There's another thread on this forum. Scroll down a little & read that. It has some other suggestions.
Hey dude

I fixed my problems this morning -not enough TOE IN.

I had used the card packaging like Aztec suggested, but was clamping down hard on the brake to keep it from moving while tightening it.

This morning, I loosened them and put them on flat.. Still squeal..

I found some very small twigs :idea: on the street which were 2-3 times the size of the card board packaging, and clamped down on the brake and actually saw some serious toe in.

Finally, NO MORE SQUEAL!!!! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.