Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hardware removed from hip fracture - show 'n tell

I fractured my right hip in July when the rider in front crashed me out. The hardware they implanted to heal the fracture starting causing me grief about two months later. I mentioned it in a RBR thread a few weeks back.

The hardware was removed two weeks ago and I asked for them to save it for me. I was surprised at how heavy it feels (6oz) and I shudder to think it was all imbedded in my leg.

Glad I didn't wait on having it removed since the surgeon told me he had to chip away bone that had already started to grow around the angled bracket. A few more weeks and I should be able to start some easy spinning and walking without a crutch.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Great follow up, and I'm glad to hear it all worked out.

Now you just have to find an interesting way to display that shiny gear. . .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Painful!

That all looks too medieval too me. Did the Doc put leeches on ya too! You would think technology is better these days, but i guess it is what it is.

·
Registered
425 Posts
BarryG said:
I fractured my right hip in July when the rider in front crashed me out. The hardware they implanted to heal the fracture starting causing me grief about two months later. I mentioned it in a RBR thread a few weeks back.

The hardware was removed two weeks ago and I asked for them to save it for me. I was surprised at how heavy it feels (6oz) and I shudder to think it was all imbedded in my leg.

Glad I didn't wait on having it removed since the surgeon told me he had to chip away bone that had already started to grow around the angled bracket. A few more weeks and I should be able to start some easy spinning and walking without a crutch.
You'll be happy you did.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Bike2Live said:
That all looks too medieval too me. Did the Doc put leeches on ya too! You would think technology is better these days, but i guess it is what it is.
Barbers the lot of them...And I mean this with the most respect. :)

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Dhs

BarryG said:
Here's the hardware assembled like it was in the leg.

That is called a DHS or Dynamic Hip Screw, have put a few of those in myself....let me guess, you had a femoral neck fracture, probably at the base of the neck. Great photos, if I'm not mistaken, that is a Synthes DHS...manufacturer. Bone will frequently start to grow around these implants, and when we do corrective surgery in children, it is not uncommon to see the implants migrate almost all the way through the bone over time, which is why we now remove them. The plate is used in order to give the screw traction. It will gain fixation within the femoral head with the screw threads and will then compress against the plate which applies the compression force across a greater area of the femur to keep it from progressing into an intertrochanteric fracture. This gives you the ability to "compress" the fracture site and enable proper healing.

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
I'm not a weight weenie! Honestly!

You might shudder now, Barry G,
but it sure did the trick!

You'll soon be spinning.

Does anyone know if that comes in a titanium or carbon version?
;)

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
piano said:
You might shudder now, Barry G,
but it sure did the trick!

You'll soon be spinning.

Does anyone know if that comes in a titanium or carbon version?
;)

DHS is stainless steel, but many of our hip implants are made of either Titanium or Cobalt Chromium. The latest metal that we have been using for the past few years is Tantalum...although I don't know if you could make a bike frame out of it..

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. Thanks for id'ing the material PA - I had actually been told originally that it would be titanium (but never confirmed it), but it sure seemed like steel when I eventually had it in my hands. Fracture was mid-femoral neck.

I'm VEEEERY happy I had it out. I just wish he would've removed it when it started hurting at 3 months post-op, and I didn't have to wait another 2 months during which I had to completely stop all the exercising I had already started (including easy road rides). Surely the fracture was healed by then. It's even more scarey that orthopod #2 insisted on waiting 2 years before considering removal.

I think I'll imbed the hardware in a lucite block and keep it on my desk at work.

(here's a pic from the mfr's instructions showing the pin imbedded - yikes, that's a big hole that was left in there)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Didn't need hardware like that

but I had a stress fracture last year of the fermoral neck. Man...talk about some pain! That's the whole reason I got into biking and quit running so much.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Question

(here's a pic from the mfr's instructions showing the pin imbedded - yikes, that's a big hole that was left in there)[/QUOTE]

Did the doc tell you if that void will fill up with bone mass over time?
Just curious, you went through alot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Road cyclist said:
Did the doc tell you if that void will fill up with bone mass over time?
Yes - doc said the osteoblast cells in the bone will fill in the voids.

·
Registered
425 Posts
physasst said:
That is called a DHS or Dynamic Hip Screw, have put a few of those in myself....let me guess, you had a femoral neck fracture, probably at the base of the neck. Great photos, if I'm not mistaken, that is a Synthes DHS...manufacturer. Bone will frequently start to grow around these implants, and when we do corrective surgery in children, it is not uncommon to see the implants migrate almost all the way through the bone over time, which is why we now remove them. The plate is used in order to give the screw traction. It will gain fixation within the femoral head with the screw threads and will then compress against the plate which applies the compression force across a greater area of the femur to keep it from progressing into an intertrochanteric fracture. This gives you the ability to "compress" the fracture site and enable proper healing.
"it is not uncommon to see the implants migrate almost all the way through the bone over time, which is why we now remove them." --- Thank you Physsat for your corroboration regarding movement & problems. Yes, it does look like Synthes hardware. Overall, pretty nice stuff, as orthopedic implants go.

·
Banned
653 Posts
BarryG said:
Glad you said that. You will have fun making your comeback and tracking
your progress improvement. As for alot of others, they are maxed out with nowhere
else to go ;)

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
IT does

BarryG said:

but it TAKES time, it can take months for that hole to completely fill in with bone....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
hardware

I had the same in my right femur only 7 screws and the plate was longer. 1 or 2 screws were not attached thru the plate, just attatching bone fragments to the largest pieces of intact bone. It was a nasty crash on the velodrome, but 6 months later I was riding and racing a year later.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
steelbikerider said:
It was a nasty crash on the velodrome, but 6 months later I was riding and racing a year later.
Congrats on the recovery! I was actually initially riding 2 months after my crash but had to completely stop a few weeks later - the first sign that I was having problems with the hardware was that the hip would ache for a week after a (not very strenuous) workout. Eventually I realized that the discomfort in my hip was becoming a constant and slowly but steadily getting worse and I was limping more. For the last few months I was ready to do the surgery to remove the hardware and was just waiting for the day that my surgeon would go ahead and do it.

·
It's not easy being green
314 Posts
scars are cool!

I had the same injury in 1985, thrown from a horse into a phone pole. The surgery was done and a year later the hardware came out. Other than the initial weakness, the only long term problem I suffered was from the surgery itself. The bone fractured and twisted so the doc had to cut away nerves and muscles in my upper thigh. They took a long time to regenerate and I still have numbness. One leg is now shorter (the broken one) than the other so I use an insert in my right shoe. My break was really bad so hopefully you don't have these problems. Oh, and that purple worm car will lighten up. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts