Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order a set of wheels from them, and I am not sure if Tax and duty apply when they are shipped to USA. Has any of you have ordered wheels from them? are you satisfied with the whole experience? did you pay taxes and duty? How about their package, is it done well enough to be safe for shipping overseas?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I am about to order a set of wheels from them, and I am not sure if Tax and duty apply when they are shipped to USA. Has any of you have ordered wheels from them? are you satisfied with the whole experience? did you pay taxes and duty? How about their package, is it done well enough to be safe for shipping overseas?
No not wheels but I have placed orders with them where the box was as big and the contents as breakable as wheels for all practical purposes the same thing.

It was uneventful. Placed the order....received it.....then end.

·
9,790 Posts
Has anybody from USA ordered Wheels from Wiggle UK?
No. No one ever.

(Duty is completely random. 1 out of 20 gets stopped and a duty levied. Odds are it won't happen, but when it does, you lose all of the savings from ordering from the UK.)

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
(Duty is completely random. 1 out of 20 gets stopped and a duty levied. Odds are it won't happen, but when it does, you lose all of the savings from ordering from the UK.)
There's a whole load of misinformation about "duty" on imported stuff. I'm aware you have a bike shop Platy, and it would help you if some of this misinformation was out there.

The people who are the experts in any area is the local customs & excise department of the government, whatever its name is in our own area. They make the rules and enforce them. I'm in Canada so I deal with Canada Customs. Everyone, who imports stuff, should know the rules as otherwise they may get a surprise when their stuff is delivered.

"Duty" is usually used on these forums as a catch-all term but it is really very specific.

Duty is a fee levied to "tax" imported stuff that is competing with locally-produced stuff. Usually, on bike parts there is no Duty. Bike clothing and complete bikes - maybe. The Customs house will tell anyone who calls if there is any Duty on what they wish to import and what the percentage is.

Brokerage Fees - the costs incurred in bringing a shipment through Customs. Brokers like FedEx have the highest fees as their service is "for profit". In Canada, the post office will act as your Broker (if the package comes via the mail service) and up here they charge a $5 flat fee. FedEx will be MUCH higher. Friends don't let friends use shippers like FedEx. I will not accept them as a shipper for imported stuff.

Taxes - up here in Ontario Canada, all packages going thru Customs are supposed to incur our local taxes. That's 13% for me. Those taxes are no different than if I shopped at the LBS. It's to level the playing field somewhat.

Many times (for me about 2 or 3 outta 5 times) I pay nothing. The parcel guy just hands me the box. Other times he nips me for the charges. It's totally random and at the whim of the Customs person. Under a certain value (I forget - $20?) charges are just not levied.

So then your statement of "you lose all of the savings from ordering from the UK" could be far from true. If I got nipped for everything (Brokerage fee and Taxes) I would pay $5 more than going to the LBS. But as almost everything I get mailorder from the USA or UK is about 50% of what I would pay in a Canadian LBS anyway (that's 100% of all my bike parts and has been for almost 40 years) it's a massive savings for me. Of course if the buyer is clueless and lets carriers like FedEx handle their parcel then your statement could be true - or close to it.

For instance - the Vittoria OpenCorsa EvoCX 320tpi tires I got from Ribble were $33 each (on sale) plus shipping with no post office charges. They would be well over $70 up here.

So all this is very dependent on where the receiver lives and what the rules are in their area (state? country?) and the mood of the Brokerage guy on the day.

Buyers should do their homework and know whether it's a bargain or not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There's a whole load of misinformation about "duty" on imported stuff. I'm aware you have a bike shop Platy, and it would help you if some of this misinformation was out there.

The people who are the experts in any area is the local customs & excise department of the government, whatever its name is in our own area. They make the rules and enforce them. I'm in Canada so I deal with Canada Customs. Everyone, who imports stuff, should know the rules as otherwise they may get a surprise when their stuff is delivered.

"Duty" is usually used on these forums as a catch-all term but it is really very specific.

Duty is a fee levied to "tax" imported stuff that is competing with locally-produced stuff. Usually, on bike parts there is no Duty. Bike clothing and complete bikes - maybe. The Customs house will tell anyone who calls if there is any Duty on what they wish to import and what the percentage is.

Brokerage Fees - the costs incurred in bringing a shipment through Customs. Brokers like FedEx have the highest fees as their service is "for profit". In Canada, the post office will act as your Broker (if the package comes via the mail service) and up here they charge a $5 flat fee. FedEx will be MUCH higher. Friends don't let friends use shippers like FedEx. I will not accept them as a shipper for imported stuff.

Taxes - up here in Ontario Canada, all packages going thru Customs are supposed to incur our local taxes. That's 13% for me. Those taxes are no different than if I shopped at the LBS. It's to level the playing field somewhat.

Many times (for me about 2 or 3 outta 5 times) I pay nothing. The parcel guy just hands me the box. Other times he nips me for the charges. It's totally random and at the whim of the Customs person. Under a certain value (I forget - $20?) charges are just not levied.

So then your statement of "you lose all of the savings from ordering from the UK" could be far from true. If I got nipped for everything (Brokerage fee and Taxes) I would pay $5 more than going to the LBS. But as almost everything I get mailorder from the USA or UK is about 50% of what I would pay in a Canadian LBS anyway (that's 100% of all my bike parts and has been for almost 40 years) it's a massive savings for me. Of course if the buyer is clueless and lets carriers like FedEx handle their parcel then your statement could be true - or close to it.

For instance - the Vittoria OpenCorsa EvoCX 320tpi tires I got from Ribble were $33 each (on sale) plus shipping with no post office charges. They would be well over $70 up here.

So all this is very dependent on where the receiver lives and what the rules are in their area (state? country?) and the mood of the Brokerage guy on the day.

Buyers should do their homework and know whether it's a bargain or not.
+1

I've always wondered. Thanks for detailed explanation.

·
mrwirey
195 Posts
I have purchased three sets of wheels from Wiggle. Two were Campagnolo Shamal Two-Way Fit and the third set was Campagnolo Khamsin. I was charged a fee on the second set of Shamals when I picked them up at the Post Office. I believe it was approx. $45 and I don't recall what it was for. I have probably ordered 10 saddles (Selle Italia kit carbonios and Selle San Marco Regal-e) as well as 4 sets of Keo Ti Blade pedals and I haven't paid any duty or other fees since.
Very respectfully, Tim

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
... Duty is completely random. 1 out of 20 gets stopped and a duty levied. Odds are it won't happen, but when it does, you lose all of the savings from ordering from the UK.
I strongly disagree. I was once charged duty on a wheelset and it was only about 6-8% of the purchase price.

Seeing as UK wheel prices can be as much as 30% lower, it's still a huge savings.

Also consider that you'll pay a lot in state sales taxes, if bought locally. Calif sales tax is another 9-10% (!!) depending on county & city.

·
Registered
263 Posts
At the beginning of 2011, I bought a complete bike (2009 Rocky Mountain Vertex RSL 50 *leftover*) from ChainReactionCyles....shipping was $100 I think. But no tax and no fees. Bike arrived in less than a week & in perfect condition.

If I recall correctly, bike shipped from Northern Ireland.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My LBS here in Toronto gave me the following deals. I'll be surprised if any of you can find it cheaper online or in the UK.

2012 Zipps 303 fc clincher with 4000s tires and bontrager x lite tubes tax in - $2260.
2013 reynolds aero 58/72 combo tax in $2400.

I have yet to find zipps at any online stores below what I paid for them, it's been a full season to.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Which wheels? And what were you quoted here?
Shimano RS80, I went to my LBS and they quoted me over $800, the lowest I could find was $599 Online at JensonUSA. and $467 at Wiggle, I found and even better deal from another retailer from UK Merlin cycles for $434 so I ordered from them this morning.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My LBS here in Toronto gave me the following deals. I'll be surprised if any of you can find it cheaper online or in the UK.

2012 Zipps 303 fc clincher with 4000s tires and bontrager x lite tubes tax in - $2260.
2013 reynolds aero 58/72 combo tax in $2400.

I have yet to find zipps at any online stores below what I paid for them, it's been a full season to.
That's over $2000.. I could not even allow myself to dream that high.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.