Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 99 Merlin XL, used it for many miles and I thought this was the best bike on the planet. Probably it is. Recently I decided that it was slightly too large, and would ride something else until I find a good deal either on a slightly smaller 2001 Merlin XL (pre-Litespeed), or on a 2005 one (they went back to non-integrated headtube and changed a bit the shape of some tubes, I'm curious about trying it, although quality might have gone down after it became Litespeed).

Now, in the meanwhile I got a good deal on a Moots Vamoots. Everybody seems to be crazy about Moots so I thought 'let's try it and see if it is as nice as people say'. Took it apart and rebuilt it to my liking (shimano 10-spd triple !). Have been riding it for a couple hundred miles, not enough yet to make my mind about it - it will take 1000 or 2000 miles before I like or dislike it - so here's the question if you've used both Merlin and Moots: which ride do you like better and why ? Maybe, after all, good-quality-Ti is just good-quality-Ti and there is not much difference besides geometry... maybe there's a bit more to it. And by the way, I don't do any racing, just long distance and going around town.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good question...I have a Moots SL, 59 cm and have ridden but not owned a Merlin Extralight and several different Litespeed models. The best way that I can describe the difference is that the Merlin rides like a Ti bike is advertised to ride; comfortable and compliant while the Moots SL (don't know about the regular 3/2.5 version) is not as comfortable but is lighter and stiffer, and especially stiffer feeling out of the saddle. I love my Moots but on a 50 mile + ride I usually take my Carbon Colnago.
On the other hand take out or add 5 PSI tire pressure and that could all change.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Sorry to piggy-back and/or hijack, but does anyone have a 3/2-6/4 hybrid, i.e. a 6/4 headtube, downtube and chainstays, and 3/2 for the rest?

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just reading some posts on the Moots forum (didn't know there was one, or I would initially have posted there) - my understanding is that the Vamoots SL is precisely a hybrid 6/4 & 3/2.5 ? With the main triangle or so 6/4 and the rest in 3/2.5.

Pierre

·
Registered
363 Posts
yep

Pierre, I've heard the same thing - 6/4 ti front triangle and 3/2.5 for the seat and chain stays. I think the stays are 3/2.5 because reynolds doesn't supply 6/4 tubing in small diameters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2002 Merlin Extra Light

With less than 2,000 miles in good shape what is it worth:

2002 MERLIN EXTRALIGHT ROAD BIKE

56 CM. WITH TIME CARBON FORK

10 SP. CAMPY CHORUS GROUP WITH CAMPY RECORD CRANKS

KSYRIUM RIMS W/ MAVIC HUBS

FI'ZIK SADDLE

TI SEAT POST

PROFILE LAVA OS STEM WITH EASTON EC 90 CARBON BARS