Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. I got a very light frame from a cycle freak that is barely used. But I can't find out anything about the manufacturer. The decal says "Outback" and a sticker reads "Made in the USA by Outback". What am I looking at? Is this a useable frame? Has anyone ever heard of them? Is it just a side company of a larger company?
Thanks for your help.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Outback Bicycle Frames were made in the DC area. I have no clue what happened to them, probably poor management based on rumors that I heard. I have seen several of the frames, most of which were in Team Snow Valley Colors, blue and Green. I woulld check the one that You have for alignment issues, seatpost fit and tube integrity at the joints.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
curlybike said:
Outback Bicycle Frames were made in the DC area. I have no clue what happened to them, probably poor management based on rumors that I heard. I have seen several of the frames, most of which were in Team Snow Valley Colors, blue and Green. I woulld check the one that You have for alignment issues, seatpost fit and tube integrity at the joints.

were they made "out back" behind the shed or something?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pointer CurlyBike you must know everything :) My frame is green and blue. Is it any good? Worth putting an Ultegra on it? How should I test the integrity of the joints? Do you have any other pointers? Was told that it has Easton tubing. Is that right?

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
hmmmmmmmm

kilaueo said:
Thanks for the pointer CurlyBike you must know everything :) My frame is green and blue. Is it any good? Worth putting an Ultegra on it? How should I test the integrity of the joints? Do you have any other pointers? Was told that it has Easton tubing. Is that right?
Just go over the frame carefully, looking for cracks in the paint or tubes that may be in or near the joints. No I don't know everything! As I remember some of them had fairly thin tubing to satisfy the weight Weenies. Some complained that they would make beer can noizes if you squeezed them!
I saw some that had alignment issues and some with ugly welds and others that had heat distorton at the seatpost area where all the stays and tubes met, that gave issues with fitting a seatpost into the seat tube.
Don't be afraid of it, just check it over.
Put on it whatever you want or have, It will go. Lots of those Snow Valley boys rode the heck out of them. Maybe yours is one of them that never got built, who knows?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.