Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious all week. What kind of blood results these guys get.
What kind of hemotocrit levels they show if they are not doping vs these over 50 results. The way I hear of it being talked about as being perfectly transparent and open I thought it would be easy to go to their site and see a test history of each rider.

Apparently not. Googled around for it, but didn't see anything. So has anyone ever seen the results of these tests?
http://www.slipstreamsports.com/request-testing-results

In my personal dope pool, I'm betting on someone, and wondering what his history has shown.

· Registered
964 Posts
I heard that CSC had too many troubles last year when they posted their test results online. Too many armchair doping experts getting the wrong idea from perfectly normal results.

Garmin Chipolte will release the information to anyone accredited to analyze and interpret the data.

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The CSC results are online however dumbed down they might be, they at least show something.

The garmin link says anyone from the media can request data for a certain rider. Doesn't say you have to be accredited to analyze and interpret the data. I'm surprised no website or blog has ever requested the info to post.

Am I the only one curious about this kind of thing?

· la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
bbgobie said:
The CSC results are online however dumbed down they might be, they at least show something.

The garmin link says anyone from the media can request data for a certain rider. Doesn't say you have to be accredited to analyze and interpret the data. I'm surprised no website or blog has ever requested the info to post.

Are you thinking CVV?

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Millar, Farrar, CVV, Maaskant already requested

According to this post from last month, so far non-anonymous data for four riders have been released.

http://cyclingfansanonymous.blogspot.com/2008/06/garmin-chipotles-policy-on-release-of.html

Given the time that has elapsed, I have to think that if there was something there we'd have heard about. What journalist wouldn't want that story?

Thing about doping is that you can't prove a negative. It's always going to be tricky.

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, late at night, just finished testing out my new tubulars, and mounted some slicks on gf's mtb.

CVV it is. Has seemed a little odd to me how well he's been doing since day 1. After stage 10 I was very curious.

I guess since I'm not American I don't watch Americans through rose coloured glasses.
And yes that is the correct spelling of colour here!
=)

· grippy...
122 Posts
bbgobie said:

I wish I could remember where i read about it, either boulderreport or cyclingfansanonymous. but my understanding was that a member of the media, who shows that they've retained the services of a hematology expert to consult, can get data for a particular rider.

Whatever author i read, expressed the opinion that it was a great setup, because it guarantees the rider isn't harmed by amateur analysis by the likes of us, and we can read a story about CVV's blood values and be assured that it wasn't based on amateur analysis. I'll buy that.

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jorgy.

I read that article, and thought it presented interesting points from both sides of how to release data.

While I'm obviously not qualified to determine if someone has doped by looking at the results. I do find it interesting to note the change in levels even within the limited CSC data. You can almost match the data to riders based on the time and what events they were riding. It is very cool to watch how the body reacts to sport.

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why do you not think it's odd?
Riders that have a stronger past history are not doing as well as him. At the elite level everyone is so close, when someone is able to leapfrog to me it's suspicious.
You can believe whatever you want, I can believe whatever.

I've never said he's on something, I just wouldn't mind looking at all the riders data as I think it would be something interesting to look at.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
if you believe the power data Allen Lim posts at Saris (for Garmin), the only selective stage so far, to hautacam, wasn't really that hard for the lead group. VDV's climbing was generating wattage in the range of 5.4 watts/kg, which is not that remarkable. There was an article in Road last year featuring Hunter Allen analyzing VDV's data from the 07 Tour where he generated more power on some climbs in a support role.

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, regarding the request of blood values is that Garmin can't just post all the riders' values on the site without getting their express permission first because of American health care privacy laws. Under law, you would have to get the riders permission for each individual request.

· Registered
960 Posts
Racer C said:
without getting their express permission first because of American health care privacy laws.
Nothing in the Team Contract to get around that???
I'd imagine that if you signed contracts with JV's team, you'd have a clause in there that gives them fairly open control to post those #s... Just my thought...

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
Nothing in the Team Contract to get around that???
I'd imagine that if you signed contracts with JV's team, you'd have a clause in there that gives them fairly open control to post those #s... Just my thought...
Legally, no, one can't contact away privacy of health records. Each individual request must be approved by the rider to be released to the public.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.