Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a visa from my CU that I've only used at Ribble in the last few months. The day after I used it at Ribble I had an unauthorized charge on the card. I'm currently in the process of trying to clear this up but wanted to know if anyone else here had seen that as I got the recommendation for ribble from this forum originally.

Eric

·
Registered
91 Posts
The charge could be a fee imposed by your bank for currency exchange service charges. If the total amount is a small amount of your purchase amount, then that is what it likely is. I've gotten hit with charges with most of my cards, except purchases by AmEx and Paypal card.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mandasol said:
The charge could be a fee imposed by your bank for currency exchange service charges. If the total amount is a small amount of your purchase amount, then that is what it likely is. I've gotten hit with charges with most of my cards, except purchases by AmEx and Paypal card.
Nope, not in this case. I called my CU and checked and they do not have any currency conversion fees. The amount is roughly 17% of the purchase amount so thats no small amount. The phone number listed on the charge was one for a known spammer so I'm doubting its a legitimate charge. In any event the charge has been disputed and the cards cancelled. I just found a similar thread on bikeforums where people were complaining about Ribble and fraudulent cc charges so it seems to confirm the theory.

Eric

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Used a CapitalOne Mastercard at Ribble a few weeks ago, no problems.

In fact, CapitalOne called me about an hour after the transaction, asking if it was legitimate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ECF said:
The phone number listed on the charge was one for a known spammer so I'm doubting its a legitimate charge.

Eric
There is your answer right there. Your computer is infected with a virus that is capturing your keystrokes and they were able to capture your card info when you made a purchase, it just happened the only purchase you made was at Ribble therefore they got it then.

It would be wise to run a thorough scan of your hard drive, and possibly reinstalling your operating system. After all that I would recommend changing all your passwords to sites you logged into since the probable infection.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Funnily enough, this just happened to me. I ordered some wheels from Ribble on Sunday and then got a call on Tuesday morning from my CC company asking if I had made some purchases, which I hadn't. Luckily the CC company caught the charges (not sure how they decide which is fraudulent as both my wife and I put everything on these cards). I just did a search and it seems this is a common problem when ordering from UK sites.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
mandasol said:
I use a Chase Visa and have to do a seperate verification step. No currency exchange fees ever charged. When I used Pay Pal they hit me with a 1% foreign transaction fee.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I got both my CC and my debit hacked this last week but I hadn't made purchases from pbk or nashbar for over a month...I expect it was one of those as I know a good amount about net security and viruses and am kinda of anal about my machines so I don't suspect anything else.

citi cards has horrible customer service by the way...when you get foreign outsourced folk

·
Registered
666 Posts
mandasol said:
There is your answer right there. Your computer is infected with a virus that is capturing your keystrokes and they were able to capture your card info when you made a purchase, it just happened the only purchase you made was at Ribble therefore they got it then.

It would be wise to run a thorough scan of your hard drive, and possibly reinstalling your operating system. After all that I would recommend changing all your passwords to sites you logged into since the probable infection.

That's pretty unlikely...

The actual problem lies with the payment processors that Ribble uses (and PBK with theirs, etc). It has been thoroughly discussed here and in bikeforums that the payment processors have been hit by hackers and hundreds, if not thousands, of credit and debit cards have been hacked when shopping at these places (my debit card was one of them...thankfully my bank credited me the amount).

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
idris icabod said:
... I just did a search and it seems this is a common problem when ordering from UK sites.
I dunno about that ... I've done 5-6 transactions w/ several UK retailers, no problems at all.

I use CapitalOne for all my foreign CC charges. Even though I notified them before my first purchase, they still called me to verify the charge was legitimate. :thumbsup:
And, CapitalOne charges zero currency exchange fees, plus I get 1% cash rebates every month :)

Always safest and least hassle to use a CC whenever possible, not debit card or Paypal, whether shopping in USA or overseas.

·
Registered
666 Posts
tom_h said:
I dunno about that ... I've done 5-6 transactions w/ several UK retailers, no problems at all.

I use CapitalOne for all my foreign CC charges. Even though I notified them before my first purchase, they still called me to verify the charge was legitimate. :thumbsup:
And, CapitalOne charges zero currency exchange fees, plus I get 1% cash rebates every month :)

Always safest and least hassle to use a CC whenever possible, not debit card or Paypal, whether shopping in USA or overseas.
Consider yourself lucky but I'm pretty sure that the many,many people over at bikeforums that have had their cards hacked at these sites will disagree with you.

Same M.O. every time...

1) Order from PBK, Ribble (and lately , even Nashbar!)
2) the next day, or sometimes a couple of days later, mysterious small charges for iTunes, NetFlix and the like appear on your account(this is the hackers trying out your card number to see if it still works)
3) after that, you get hit with expensive airline tickets, electronics purchases, etc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just had the same issue with fraudulent charges after a PBK purchase, CC company caught it early so no problems. I've been shopping with them for a while now, but after this I won't be until things get worked out on their end.

·
Registered
388 Posts
too bad that it is pbk...they have such good prices but not worth the hassle of closing accounts and getting new cards issued...it was no problem with my debit card, i got a new card same day...but I am still waiting on my credit card from citi.....weak

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
mh3 said:
Just had the same issue with fraudulent charges after a PBK purchase, CC company caught it early so no problems.

ditto

·
Registered
92 Posts
RC28 said:
Consider yourself lucky but I'm pretty sure that the many,many people over at bikeforums that have had their cards hacked at these sites will disagree with you.

Same M.O. every time...

1) Order from PBK, Ribble (and lately , even Nashbar!)
2) the next day, or sometimes a couple of days later, mysterious small charges for iTunes, NetFlix and the like appear on your account(this is the hackers trying out your card number to see if it still works)
3) after that, you get hit with expensive airline tickets, electronics purchases, etc.
This exact scenario happened to me. My cc company contact me a few day ago because they desactivate the card after a itunes transaction I didn't make. I only use this card for internet transaction and lately only used it for my paypal account and PBK. So my guess is that PBK is faulty here.

The goood thing is that the cc company stop everything after the itunes transaction. I also which PBK used paypal as a option.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is what I suspect... the processor got hacked.

http://www.2008breach.com/HeartlandFAQ.asp

In fact it makes me a little nervous... it seems obvious that people are experiencing it with different vendors, but none of them seem to be open with the customers about it. I recently ran across many reports of this sort of thing with Nashbar when looking for discount codes. PayPal might be a really good idea.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My card was hit also. Transactions at itunes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Blue CheeseHead said:
My card just got hit with two minimal charges, one Itunes and some other thing for $2.50.
Ordered some stuff from Nashbar on a Thursday. Sunday, the CC company called me, two charges from the Netherlands, Itunes for $1, some defunct german internet provider for $2.

Nashbar was the was the only online CC purchase I made that month. They've been hacked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts