Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I'm guessing it's another taiwanese-aluminum-framed / sora starter bike, with no-namer wheels and a below-sora crankset.

Nothing especially WRONG with that, good starter bike, though comparables retail brand new at a bike shop for $595 or so.

· Registered
449 Posts
Name has some tradition

Dawes made some top-knotch lugged steel frames in England back in the 70s and 80s. I had one that I rode for many many miles through college, grad school and beyond. I'm not sure if the company is the same, or if someone else bought the name. Looks like they no longer make frames in England. In any case, the bike looks good for the price and it's a name with some good tradition behind it. I'm sure it will serve you just fine.

· Banned
657 Posts
As it is your 1st purchase you must have thought about it & like the bike. Ride it & use it as a "shake down" bike to fine tune your next purchase in frame size & geometry, etc before spending big bucks. You did the right thing in not paying a fortune on your 1st road bike. Cool looking esp w/ the red sidewalls.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
you're not the Dawes USA distributor, are you?

There are none of those bikes currently on Ebay, and none have been sold in the past 3-4 weeks.

Me smells a shill.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
Dawes used to be a good name back in the 50s and 60s. They made good touring bikes and race bikes as well. It appears that they never went under, but have started selling less expensive taiwanese sourced bikes to round out their range. Not many riders are interested in full touring bikes these days.

It looks like a nice bike, especially for the price!

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Ineresting that there does not seem to be any overlap between the products offer on the UK site and the bikes listed on the US site.

The US site is useless. Gives no information on how to find a dealer. Reminds me of the Moto site that is only in place to provide inflated MSRPs.

· off the back
15,599 Posts
looks to me like two different companies. perhaps the name Dawes for the American market got sold, similar to Masi. cause none of the models on the USA website appear to be on the British site. and the logos aren't the same.

also love how they gave their Lightning models the same numbers that Trek uses on their road line.

· Soul Mining
390 Posts
Dawes is based in the Castle Bromwich area of Birmingham, England, not too far from where I used to live. In the past they were a highly reputed builder of steel bicycles, but their market point has been reduced to the lower end of the scale in modern times. I've seen a lot of Dawes bicycles, but all of them have been of the cheaper, affordable variety.

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
What do you know.

Lifelover said:
Ineresting that there does not seem to be any overlap between the products offer on the UK site and the bikes listed on the US site.

The US site is useless. Gives no information on how to find a dealer. Reminds me of the Moto site that is only in place to provide inflated MSRPs.
I sent them an email asking about distributers and the response back is

"Please email our online authorized retailer- [email protected]

Regards,
Dawes Cycles"

and it only took 10 days to get the response!

· Banned
476 Posts
to answer your actual question

The bike appears to be a bike with the same specs as you would get in a bike shop for $600 to $700 -- so for $425 you did great

Question I would have is where is it made?
Entry level Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc are made in China
Higher level are made in Taiwan

Was this bike made in China or Taiwan
If it is Taiwan, it is probably better quality than most entry road bikes
If it is China, it is probably same quality as entry road bikes in a shop

· Banned
476 Posts
I think you are wrong

Lectron said:
I can smell that one all the way to Norway.

Here's another one of BikesDirect's Free Commercials. This one at Bikeforums.net

The way I read it - the bikeforum post was clearly by a new bike buyer; who was attacked by some guys who had no idea what they were talking about - then defended by several other posters.

This entire idea that any newbie who does not buy in a Bike Shop should be attacked does nothing to support road cycling or this forum -- I have seen buying and shoppers on every online bike attacked and I now think most those attacks are from bike shop owners or employees who are mad at online sellers

Back in the day; when there was no online and only mail order catalogs - i heard bike shops attack catalogs left and right with all kinds of lies

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.