Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Soul Mining
390 Posts
I recall reading at least one story of someone finding a very nice mid-1980s Italian road bike in a thrift shop. I imagine it must have been classified as a "steal of the century" since it probably sold for no more than $50.

I suppose I may have found a great"deal" when I got my Rossin Record. I went to a rather crummy bike swap meet looking for an old steel bike and was about ready to walk away from the paltry showing when I happened across the Rossin, looking worse for wear with scrapes in the paint and a little surface rust here and there. I gobbled it up for $30.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
One of mine sort of....

I was looking for a fix gear project bike, knew the LBS took trades. If I was going to spend money on a fix/SS project I wanted it to fit and be rare, not something you see at every ride. I asked and he pointed me in the direction of the sidewalk where he displayed the trades. There it was, all dirty and grimy but a possibility. I took out the tape measure and saw that the TT was the correct length. The bike was an old 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, solid chrome but due to it's condition i could not tell if it was a rust bucket or what. I went inside and asked a price. $65. I decided I would think about it as I did not have alot of extra cash at the time. Came back a few days later and measured again just to make sure and asked, "is $65 your best price?" The owner said "No, $130 is my best price but for you it is $65." "I'll take it."

Most recently I discovered the bike is selling for around $350 to collectors, wheelset for around $150. Not huge money, but I love the ride of that bike and last weekend as a SS I rode it 212miles in 2 days. The chrome by the way is very good shape, and had alot of lookers and compliments and head shakers as to why I would ride 212 on a single speed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lone Gunman said:
I was looking for a fix gear project bike, knew the LBS took trades. If I was going to spend money on a fix/SS project I wanted it to fit and be rare, not something you see at every ride. I asked and he pointed me in the direction of the sidewalk where he displayed the trades. There it was, all dirty and grimy but a possibility. I took out the tape measure and saw that the TT was the correct length. The bike was an old 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, solid chrome but due to it's condition i could not tell if it was a rust bucket or what. I went inside and asked a price. $65. I decided I would think about it as I did not have alot of extra cash at the time. Came back a few days later and measured again just to make sure and asked, "is $65 your best price?" The owner said "No, $130 is my best price but for you it is $65." "I'll take it."

Most recently I discovered the bike is selling for around $350 to collectors, wheelset for around $150. Not huge money, but I love the ride of that bike and last weekend as a SS I rode it 212miles in 2 days. The chrome by the way is very good shape, and had alot of lookers and compliments and head shakers as to why I would ride 212 on a single speed.

great story. do you have a pic?

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
James30Florida said:
for example, someone posts asking "hey, can you tell me about this bike i picked up at a thrift store" and the response was that it was a steal of the century or a rare find?
I found an old bike in a garage (I was doing some work on the house) . The owner and I struck up a conversation. It turns out he wanted a mountain type bike. I just happened to have a near new Gary Fisher something or other I'd bought for $100 at a garage sale. Really nice bike. We made the swap and I ended up with a bike that was way too big for me at 62cm. I ride a 56cm. So, after a few years I ended up selling the dear old thing. It ended up going for around 3k. It was a '58 Urago. Neat bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.