Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to get it to fit onto for oversized fork? I have an older Cateye cordless that has never been used and would like to use it if possible. I noticed the strap that holds the sensor onto the fork is too short for the Cervelo Wolf fork. I'm wondering if anyone has had this situation and somehow modified the mounting? I could buy a new one but I figure there may be a simple way. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
zip ties?

I haven't done it, but I've attached all sorts of things to various parts of bikes with zip ties. Might involve drilling some holes or cutting some notches in the device, but should be doable.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Ziplocs should work...that's what Cateye includes in their mounting bracket for the cordless and wireless computers...put piece of electrical tape around the fork where you are going to mount the senson. Then if you have to cut the ziploc off you won't scratch the fork....ziplocs come in different sizes and colors, get one to match the color of your fork..you can find them in bulk at auto supply stores..

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
adhesive...

I haven't strapped a sensor to a fork in many years. I deliberately cut off all the mounting bracketry and attach the sensor with black or clear silicon caulk/adhesive. With any new installation, I'll temporarily strap the sensor to the fork with electrical tape to be sure that I can get the wheel magnet close enough to the sensor. If not, the magnet may need an "extension" (another small magnet or a small steel nut or washer glued to it) to extend the magnetic field. The other alternative to to place some sort of shim material behind the sensor to move it a bit closer to the wheel magnet. I have no zip ties on my bike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very intesesting...

but I have a Cateye that isn't really mounted to the fork but hangs out from the fork a bit. I tried to place the sensor between the inside of the fork and the spokes but it is too thick.

But I definitely like the idea of not using a strap if at all possible as it seems likely it will mar the fork sooner or later.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Can you move the magnet closer to the rim so there's more clearance? I know the fork gets thicker in that direction, but you're having a problem with that anyway.

If it were mine, I'd try that first and try to secure it with a zip tie. You'll need to put a strip of friction tape around the fork where the zip tie is going to be placed. This will protect the fork finish in addition to keeping the zip tie from sliding. I've also attached stuff like this with Shoe Goo. It requires clamping overnight, but it dries clear and is removable leaving no trace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.