Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great flic

I saw it and immediately wanted to watch it again. I thought is was very well done, and am surprised it's not nominated for best picture. Joaquin is pure cool.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
I can't believe you boys are raving about Joaquin when Reese Witherspoon was in the movie, too. ;)

Actually, one of the things I liked best about it is in the billing Reese kept a reeeally low profile. I didn't even know she was in the movie until I wen tto see it.

And Joaquin pulled off a really hard character very well. Perhaps it makes him a bit cooler that he can pretend to be Johnny Cash, possibly one of the coolest dudes ever.

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gig 'em said:
I can't believe you boys are raving about Joaquin when Reese Witherspoon was in the movie, too. ;)
Trust me, I didn't forget about Reese. :) She was equally as great as Joaquin. And always easy on the eyes! I was most impressed with both of their singing talent.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Gig 'em said:

Actually, one of the things I liked best about it is in the billing Reese kept a reeeally low profile. I didn't even know she was in the movie until I wen tto see it.

And Joaquin pulled off a really hard character very well. Perhaps it makes him a bit cooler that he can pretend to be Johnny Cash, possibly one of the coolest dudes ever.
cause it's been a loong time i haven't seen virility in movies.. and no, george clooney doesn't cut it. the story of a troubled guy who can't find peace no matter how better he does his job, makes money, succeeds.. that's hard to pull.
also; how true phoenix and the director portray a man's love and need for a woman.. all other movies became artificial instantly.
reese is great. i'm her fan on everything incl. legally blond but the movie belongs to phoenix.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
I dunno, I thought it was a great movie and I hope it wins just about everything it was nominated for, but I was kind of disappointed in one aspect. Kind of like Ray, it seemed like it focused too much on his drug use, and when the drug abuse was over so was the movie. Johnny Cash had a lot of great work post-abuse that wasn't included in the movie. Kind of like they cut off the happy ending, if you will (not that it was all smiles and games, but still).

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Gig 'em said:
I dunno, I thought it was a great movie and I hope it wins just about everything it was nominated for, but I was kind of disappointed in one aspect. Kind of like Ray, it seemed like it focused too much on his drug use, and when the drug abuse was over so was the movie. Johnny Cash had a lot of great work post-abuse that wasn't included in the movie. Kind of like they cut off the happy ending, if you will (not that it was all smiles and games, but still).
you are right.. most of the scenes are about it and the dynamics are about it. though the end is about getting the girl to marry him. nice.. and the script balances the miserable childhood, the oppressive father, religious mother.. i tell you, it's a tough act to pull. biographies are generally corny, lame.. it's better than ray which had too much and the black culture is too aesthethic, too stylized sometimes.
as for the academy awards.. bleaargh!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I haven't seen it yet

but I know the guy who plays elvis. How'd he do? He's a pretty nice kid, Tyler.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Gig 'em said:
I think you missed the point. Johnny got straightened out when he got June. He finally got the love of his life. That WAS the happy ending. It was the start of the happiest time of his life, and whatever work he did after that was just gravy.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
atpjunkie said:
but I know the guy who plays elvis. How'd he do? He's a pretty nice kid, Tyler.
he is good... ok.. a bit sidestepped by everybody (the jerry lee lewys impersonation is brilliant). your buddy didn't pull the charisma of the early elvis but that WOULD BE an epic challenge (if done right, it would catapult him to stardom easily).

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
colker1 said:
great, manly movie.. joaquin phoenix is my new best friend.
Yep, great picture. I love the music and it ends better than Ray, I think. The way they played it was so that the drugs were a substitute for June. Kinda interesting.

Too bad it didn't get nominated for best pic. I think the Academy has really lost it's marbles this year. I saw Pride and Prejudice last week and thought it was very good. Did you ever get to see Capote?

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
il sogno said:
Yep, great picture. I love the music and it ends better than Ray, I think. The way they played it was so that the drugs were a substitute for June. Kinda interesting.

Too bad it didn't get nominated for best pic. I think the Academy has really lost it's marbles this year. I saw Pride and Prejudice last week and thought it was very good. Did you ever get to see Capote?
walk the line is one of those things that are hardly made anymore: good, heartfull(is this a word?) and unpretentious storytelling. not to mention extremely well acted, directed and photographed. the cast is brilliant.
saw capote today(premiere).. hoffman is superb.. but the movie didn't bring much new to me. it seems important and deep but it's just the melancholic music and lots of fade to black. everybody loves it though.. does it add anything to what we know of capote and those killings?
pride and prejudice has a wonderfull art direction and photography but... isn't it the story of a smart but graceless girl from a ruined family w/ no future except a marrying a boring priest? so they cast a sexy, beautifull, million dollar looking hottie for the part. she has a beautifull smile but acting is not her strongest point.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Capote

colker1 said:
saw capote today(premiere).. hoffman is superb.. but the movie didn't bring much new to me. it seems important and deep but it's just the melancholic music and lots of fade to black. everybody loves it though.. does it add anything to what we know of capote and those killings?
Interesting. I actually thought Capote added a fair bit to my knowledge of him. I knew the flaming "style," the alcoholism, etc. But he was really fundamentally loathsome as a person... downright pathological. Thinking that it was "horrible" what they were doing "to him" by staying executions, and lying to his subject's faces about so many things. I thought all that was pretty compelling stuff.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
jtolleson said:
Interesting. I actually thought Capote added a fair bit to my knowledge of him. I knew the flaming "style," the alcoholism, etc. But he was really fundamentally loathsome as a person... downright pathological. Thinking that it was "horrible" what they were doing "to him" by staying executions, and lying to his subject's faces about so many things. I thought all that was pretty compelling stuff.
i see.. it's probably my taste. i do like some scenes a lot: the first press conferencew/ the sheriff( "we know it was a large group of mexicans..") w/the line of cops w/ coats and hats.
the parties in the ny flat. but the movie is predictable and generic. in a few yrs, when you see it on cable, mark my words... you will think it's vulgar..

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
I'm a dedicated Johnny Cash fan, and I'm afraid I didn't like Walk the Line all that much. To me the film followed the path of least resistance. As Carina Chocano of the LA Times put it, it was the Two o'Clock tour of Johnny Cash's life. Joaquin was convincing as a drunk, but he wasn't convincing as Johnny Cash. I couldn't believe that the guy up on the screen was the Johnny Cash who made all those dead simple, dead brilliant recordings. The film really dropped the ball when it came to where Johnny Cash's inspiration and talent came from. From just listening to the radio, and from singing along with his mom in the fields? There had to be more.

On the other hand, I loved Reese Witherspoon. Sassy, sexy and so wonderfully coy & old-fashioned. She sang a whole lot better than Joaquin, too.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
colker1 said:
pride and prejudice has a wonderfull art direction and photography but... isn't it the story of a smart but graceless girl from a ruined family w/ no future except a marrying a boring priest? so they cast a sexy, beautifull, million dollar looking hottie for the part. she has a beautifull smile but acting is not her strongest point.
I like the way Pride and Prejudice was directed. I thought it told the story well and appropriately in spite of Kiera Knightly.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
il sogno said:
I like the way Pride and Prejudice was directed. I thought it told the story well and appropriately in spite of Kiera Knightly.
i like the direction too.. but i'm such a fan of the book..
i'm like mapei in this one. he loves and follows johnny cash work so, to see an impersonation of something already perfect, one gets the feeling it's weak.
the camera work in pride and prejudice is brilliant. the art work is brilliant.. but the book is so clever.
about capote, i don't get that script: if it's the movie about a manipulator, why so many home scenes w/ his partner that brings nothing to the matter? if it's a film about the contrast of mid america and new york, why not go deeper into the kansas' life? if it's a film about being different, why put so much weight in the horror of the crime? sorry.. but it feels like they gathered everything that was shocking, bizarre, gay and wrapped in big, pro photography.but taste is taste.
i was just thinking, joaquin also lost the "good" brother, the one w/ the big future, to alcohol and drugs. joaquin also did "bad things": depraved characters liike the roman emperor in gladiator, killers etc... joaquin was the ugly brother. maybe the parallel gives the movie(well.. gives to me) and his performance such a power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts