Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the Hutchinson CX tires and have heard that they changed the bead to be more resistant to burping at low pressures. The new tires say carbon bead, has anyone tried the them yet?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm using the new Tubeless Ready Piranhas now with Stan's Plus Four strips on Velocity A23 rims, but not much experience, yet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fallzboater said:
I'm using the new Tubeless Ready Piranhas now with Stan's Plus Four strips on Velocity A23 rims, but not much experience, yet.
Are those the wide rims like the Hed C2 wheels?
That would be a nice set up.
By the way the old version of the Piranha is on Bonktown right now for $22
Art

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the newer version of the Bulldogs and they won't seat right on a Stans 340 rim setup. I've tried everything from soap and water to stretching them out with tubes. Half of the bead is still severely uneven up and down. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I've tried everything and nothing seems to be working. Either way, I hope this isn't the new carbon bead causing this.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thomaskrap said:
I have the newer version of the Bulldogs and they won't seat right on a Stans 340 rim setup. I've tried everything from soap and water to stretching them out with tubes. Half of the bead is still severely uneven up and down. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I've tried everything and nothing seems to be working. Either way, I hope this isn't the new carbon bead causing this.
I'm surprised. I though that would be an ideal tubeless set up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jensons sells the new ones and customer service rep told me he had the old ones (Piranhas) and the new ones on a set of Dura Ace wheels and he said they're identical.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
They burp less...but they fart more.

I watched a guy blow a pair off last weekend in a ham fisted move.
I don't know what his set up was....but he did say they were the new carbon beads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could not get them to seat with Stan's ZTR Rims

Just bought some new Bulldogs to replace my Bulldogs from last CX season. Attempted to mount them and the bead was unbelievably hard to seat (had to dig out a Koolstop Tire Jack to get the bead over the Rim Edge). Once mounted I tried and tried to get the beads to seat (Floor pump and Air Compressor but could not get them to seat). I had no problem getting the tire pressure up to 80 PSI but the Bead would stay in the middle of the Rim. After continuing to use the compressor the tire bead basically snapped (most likely from the aggressive nature of the tire jack) and the tire blow off the rim. It appears that the bead broke leading to the failure.

I went back to my old Bulldog and had no problem mounting it with a simple lever and getting it to seat with my floor pump.

It would appear, at least with Stan ZTRs, that the Carbon bead makes things too tight to get them mounted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Someone needs to call NoTubes (607) 562-2877 and ask them whats up this??? I was about to buy the new Piranhas to mount on Alphas but it seems like there's an issue here. That is supposed to be THE setup. Stans + Hutchinson NOT working together, something has to be wrong. Sounds like the new carbon bead is both too rigid and too small.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Did you soap them up? I had no problem with the new Piranhas, but I'm not using Stan's rims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
tschallb said:
Just bought some new Bulldogs to replace my Bulldogs from last CX season. Attempted to mount them and the bead was unbelievably hard to seat (had to dig out a Koolstop Tire Jack to get the bead over the Rim Edge). Once mounted I tried and tried to get the beads to seat (Floor pump and Air Compressor but could not get them to seat). I had no problem getting the tire pressure up to 80 PSI but the Bead would stay in the middle of the Rim. After continuing to use the compressor the tire bead basically snapped (most likely from the aggressive nature of the tire jack) and the tire blow off the rim. It appears that the bead broke leading to the failure.

I went back to my old Bulldog and had no problem mounting it with a simple lever and getting it to seat with my floor pump.

It would appear, at least with Stan ZTRs, that the Carbon bead makes things too tight to get them mounted.

I've had the exact same experience. I had a buddy of mine blow two bulldogs off stans 340 rims. I honestly think it's this new batch of Hutch tires. But much like you, when he used an old bull-dog that he used last season, they mounted completely fine. It's safe to say that the bead is way too tight even with the use of windex and/or soap and water.

Time to call Hutchinson.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck getting anything out of Hutchinson if you can find a customer service number. They're a foreign company with a distributor only here who could probably care less about this. Thats why I suggested to call Stans because supposedly they test all of the new tire and wheel combos and they are a small company that you get through to and talk to someone who might actually know something.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am really concerned as I have a new set of stans 340s and have the piranhas on order. I raced 355s w/ bulldogs last year and loved them. I wanted to set up two sets, the 355s for mud and 340s for non mud days. Are last year's models a better fit? Are last year's tires available?
Crap!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts