Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of these because they were similar to the paul neo retros at less than half the price. I am going to be using them with the spooky cable stradle and wondered what kind of luck anyone else has been having with them...

CR720
Forged aluminum arms
Linear spring design
Dual micro tension adjusters
With 877.12 cartridge pads
Dimension : 21 - 35mm
Standard finish
Stain silver andodized
Available in anodized colors
Weight 121 grams / wheel

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have them. I put them on my new cyclocross build because they looked like the Pauls. I went ahead and changed the pads to KoolStop salmons. Set up was easy. Unfortunately they are the first one's I've tried so I can't compare them to anything. They seem to stop better than my coworker's (Avid 4?) and I don't have to keep messing with them. I say they have plenty of stopping power, esp. when off the proverbial paved road.

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
i have been thinking of trying them. The initial hurt would be less than a set pauls. BUT if they are the suxxor and I have to buy some pauls in the end, it will end up being an expensive lesson.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of adding some shimano or swiss stop pads to them. They will be going on a Redline when they release the 09' line but after dropping all the cash on the bike I was looking for ways to save money without compromising performance. I also think they look pretty sharp.

Anyone else thinking of trying out new pads? These are replacing the stock set of Avid shorty, which I have heard mixed reviews on.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have them on my Ridley and I love them. I have bikes with Avid 4's (hate those bastards) and some Cane Creek SX-5's (they are ok). The Tekro's work so well I have been thinking of buying two more pairs for the other bikes.

·
Registered
373 Posts
They are badass. I have these on my Kona Jake (replaced Avid Shorty 4s) and the Tektro 520's on my Van Dessel. The 720's way more 'solid' feeling than the 520s but both are miles better than the Avids.

On my Jake I have a Bontrager carbon fork, I'm about 170lb and have zero shudder issues.

Highly recommend.

·
Registered
385 Posts
what about your straddle cable position?

Consider that the height of the straddle cable, or yoke, plays a significant role in cyclocross brake setup, especially when comparing different models of brakes. I'm wondering what yoke height setup folks are using with this new Tektro CR720 brake?

Reason being, generally wider armed brakes like this model we're discussing have less braking power, but have much more mud clearance due to the fact that they sit further away from the rim. The further away from the rim they sit, and the greater distance that a brake must travel relative to an equal amount of brake lever pull, a brake will have less leverage in the hands. This is all adjustable though.

Last year I was hypothesizing about how these same new brakes would compare to my old standby brakes, the Avid Shorty's, which I'm familiar with for the past 7 years. (That thread is HERE and the real geekiness happens HERE and HERE.) I actually attempted to order some of these CR720's but my shop's distributer had them on backorder and they dropped the ball on me all season. I'm not sure whether those brakes would have been better, but mainly I was curious if I could get them setup with better rim clearance, while still having equally good stopping power while requiring minimal hand strength (and hopefully, less squawk).

·
Registered
224 Posts
CDB said:

Consider that the height of the straddle cable, or yoke, plays a significant role in cyclocross brake setup, especially when comparing different models of brakes. I'm wondering what yoke height setup folks are using with this new Tektro CR720 brake?

Reason being, generally wider armed brakes like this model we're discussing have less braking power, but have much more mud clearance due to the fact that they sit further away from the rim. The further away from the rim they sit, and the greater distance that a brake must travel relative to an equal amount of brake lever pull, a brake will have less leverage in the hands. This is all adjustable though.

Last year I was hypothesizing about how these same new brakes would compare to my old standby brakes, the Avid Shorty's, which I'm familiar with for the past 7 years. (That thread is HERE and the real geekiness happens HERE and HERE.) I actually attempted to order some of these CR720's but my shop's distributer had them on backorder and they dropped the ball on me all season. I'm not sure whether those brakes would have been better, but mainly I was curious if I could get them setup with better rim clearance, while still having equally good stopping power while requiring minimal hand strength (and hopefully, less squawk).
Wow..my brain hurts...I'm going to have to sit down for the night to read, re-read, hi-lite and just soak it all in....lol
Thanks for the link.... maybe I'll just play around with the Avid's then

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I'm going to put a set on my Empella. I had major shudder issues with the froglegs that came with the bike. I haven't installed them yet. I'll be running the Onyx in the rear since they don't stick out as far-sort of like running Paul's neo retros and touring brakes. At 1/2 the cost (or less).

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
If I read correctly (big "if") your conclusions suggest that brakes like the Avid Shortys, Tektro Oryx andCane Creeks would have superior stopping power to brakes like Paul Neo Retros and the many Frogleg clones out there. I don't think I have ever heard anyone else make this suggestion. (To control for the snob factor, take the Paul Touring model which is usually deemed less powerful than the Neo Retro.)

FWIW, I usually set the straddle on my Neo Retros about two finger widths above the tire.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions (or a link) to what they found to work for an Avid set-up (since they seem to be the most common)
Right now it's a cartridge pad with a wide (5cm?) straddle carrier.
I was told by some one some place the extra wide straddle carrier would help, which it does, but I think it has a bit more power potential...
Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use the CR720s, and have the straddle set about 3-4 cm above the tire. It looks low-ish, but the performance has been stellar (note: put some kool-stop salmon cartridge pads in after one long fire road descent that left me cursing at the stock pads).

Though I haven't tried everything, they are probably as much brake as your going to get without getting into the Paul/Empella/Spooky realm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.