1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I bought two of these: one for me when it started to get dark earlier and earlier so that I could ride after work even after dark and the second one for my nephew because he liked to go ride at 2AM when there are almost no cars around.

The headlight is really there to let oncoming cars know you are there because the beam pattern, while reasonably bright, is so small that it lights up a 5' wide by 3' deep spot in front of you while you ride. It's not bright enough to be brighter than the streetlights I ride under, though. The sides of the headlight glow from a small window on each side of the light. The rear light is nice: it's a 3-LED setup that toggles off, on, blinking. I use mines in the blinking mode because it gets people's attention as they approach you from behind. Because of this the tail light seems to not burn up the batteries all that quickly. The headlight is on its second set of batteries and will probably be on its third pretty soon.

The price, at $12, is right, though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi squidward, thank you for your review for the Planet Bike 1200 set. Something to consider over the $45 Cat Eye EL510 / TL-LD1000 set.

Now does anyone have an opinion on the Planet Bike 5000x headlight? I found this review on amazon.

I chose this light after being dissatisfied with the performance of LED-based options like the CatEye HL-EL500, whose battery life might kick butt, but the beam is too dim and too narrow to see with.

Considering this light works off 4 AAs, rather than a bulky, external battery pack, I think it does a decent job of lighting the way. It's definitely bright enough that you can use it "to see" rather than just "to be seen". However, it's not a light I would recommend for folks who like to go 15+ mph in complete darkness. (You folks should consider big-battery halogens or pricey HIDs.) There are only a few stretches on my nighttime commute that are completely dark, and I feel comfortable going around 12 mph with this light. I'd go slower or get a brighter light for riding unknown routes in darkness, but that's very seldom here in the city.

I like the fact that you have to hold down the power button to turn it on, so it doesn't accidentally get switched on in my pannier. I also like the two power levels (3000/5000 candlepower) to conserve battery when I'm riding partially lit areas.

The quick release is indeed very quick, and the light slides into place with a confidence-inspiring click. The light is sturdy enough that it's survived a couple accidental drops onto concrete from about five feet.

I use this light with rechargeable NiMH batteries, but I can't say much about battery life, since my commute isn't too long and I recharge before draining batteries dry. With two power settings and NiMH batteries gradually increasing in capacity, battery life probably varies widely.

Planet Bike doesn't advertise this light to be waterproof, but the switch on top is rubber, and the battery cage has a rubber gasket. The only other opening I see is on the bottom of the light, and I expect that to be covered up by the quick release bracket. I wouldn't submerge this thing, but I've had no trouble riding in rain.

Finally, Planet Bike donates 25% of its profits to bike advocacy, which I think is terrific.

For self-contained (i.e., no separate battery pack) lights, I think this is among the best values out there...a great choice for folks willing to take it slow but want to see in the dark.
I'm trying to identify if the review above is just some employee's attempt to promote their product or if this $15 -5000 Candle Power headlight is the real deal. I wonder how Planet Bike's 5000x compares with Cateye's EL500/510 1000/800 Candle power lights? Maybe the durability is not as great as the Cateye's.

ANY insight on Planet Bike's quality is appreciated.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
My impression of the Planet Bike lights is that they are good quality. I might try running both my nephew's and my headlight at the same time to see if it really lights up the road enough to be considered decent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts