Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received one & am pretty disappointed. Advertised as 240gm. This one weighed 288.21gm. 1.6 oz over advertised weight. Hummmmmmmm.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
what do you care - they are just stronger this way. Nobody who wants light would buy such a large bar anyway. I'm using the K-Wing and like it, but if I want light and oversized, I buy a Kestrel EMS Pro. 200g on my scale.

Pierre

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
I have the K-wing bars on my main bike and I don't think that I would ever buy the "regular" bars again. I love the flat section behind the hoods.
These things are indeed a bit porky by today's standards. If you are truly and terribly concerned about those 40 or so grams, I suggest that you get a lighter stem..maybe a Ritchey WCS or the Syntace stem. Or eat less Big Macs next time.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Wow!

SHVentus said:
I just received one & am pretty disappointed. Advertised as 240gm. This one weighed 288.21gm. 1.6 oz over advertised weight. Hummmmmmmm.
That's one swallow of water! Man, you've been screwed, so send 'em back :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stihl said:
I have the K-wing bars on my main bike and I don't think that I would ever buy the "regular" bars again. I love the flat section behind the hoods.
These things are indeed a bit porky by today's standards. If you are truly and terribly concerned about those 40 or so grams, I suggest that you get a lighter stem..maybe a Ritchey WCS or the Syntace stem. Or eat less Big Macs next time.
Thanks for everyones response, I appreciate them.

Stihl,

I ordered the Ritchey WCS stem at the same time as the K Wing, should arrive any day now. I realize that 48 gm (1.6 oz) in the grand scheme is not a lot of weight (granted Kerry, a gulp of water or a healthy poop could account for similar weight), and realize in composite contstruction, there has to be some variability from piece to piece, but, it just seemed an excessive amount of lab error variability from their published, probable average target weight, of 240 gm. I was just currious what other's FSA K Wing bars came in at and whether this one was similar or grossly more. And to go from 199 gm of my 3T bars to 288 gm will be a sizeable jump. I hope I like the K Wing as much as it seems everyone that has them seem to be. Just trying to improve the ergonomics but still keep my bikes weight close to it's 15.7 #. Thanks again for everyones contribution. (BTW, I never eat Mc Donalds - :) ).

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
SHVentus said:
Thanks for everyones response, I appreciate them.

Stihl,

I ordered the Ritchey WCS stem at the same time as the K Wing, should arrive any day now. I realize that 48 gm (1.6 oz) in the grand scheme is not a lot of weight (granted Kerry, a gulp of water or a healthy poop could account for similar weight), and realize in composite contstruction, there has to be some variability from piece to piece, but, it just seemed an excessive amount of lab error variability from their published, probable average target weight, of 240 gm. I was just currious what other's FSA K Wing bars came in at and whether this one was similar or grossly more. And to go from 199 gm of my 3T bars to 288 gm will be a sizeable jump. I hope I like the K Wing as much as it seems everyone that has them seem to be. Just trying to improve the ergonomics but still keep my bikes weight close to it's 15.7 #. Thanks again for everyones contribution. (BTW, I never eat Mc Donalds - :) ).
Get the carbon look Deda handlebar tape, it looks nice. Did you get a computer mount? Unless you have a stem mount computer, you will probably need one. I have a FSA-115 stem and have about 1/4-3/8" of round bar on either side of the clamp. I don't imagine that the richey would be much different than that.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
The 240gm ones

SHVentus said:
are the tricycle sized ones, the ones that actually fit on a rideable bike weigh more.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bigbill said:
Get the carbon look Deda handlebar tape, it looks nice. Did you get a computer mount? Unless you have a stem mount computer, you will probably need one. I have a FSA-115 stem and have about 1/4-3/8" of round bar on either side of the clamp. I don't imagine that the richey would be much different than that.
Thanks BigBill for the heads up on the bar tape. I'm getting two ZeProedge mounts that are made for the FSA K Wing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7217136184&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
It would be great..

I wish that someone comes up with a regular (not winged) carbon bar that has the flat spot behind the hoods just like the K-Wing has. I would like a non-anatomic bend (similar to the 215). That would be the perfect bar. Aaahh..

·
Self admitted user
143 Posts
Bar weight and conceiled cable housing

Just snagged a 44cm set of bars and sure enough on the scale they came in at 290 gr on the nose.

My first thought was that if they last that much longer b.c of the extra heft, I will be a happy man.

Then I fell slave to installing the concealed brake cable housing for my Shimano levers and nearly popped a vein.

I have a set of new Bontrager cable housings with a neat hybrid for the brake housing ... they use the more flexible brake housing for 3" for around the handlebar bend then transition using an aluminum sleave to oversized derailler housing making the housing real stiff and efficient.

* Problem, you have to feed the housing from the lever end of the bar through a hole that is just the right size, make a hard bend and feed it through a pitiful slot near the stem faceplate. The aluminum sleeve prevents these cable housings from being fed in that direction after I had already cut to fit the right size ... Leaving me to either go back to std housing or frankensteining a solution. Let's not forget that FSA leaves the moulding bladder all crumpled up inside which further complicates the installation process. ( read: use coat hanger to fish out what you can)

I figured out that you had to feed a wire through to serve as a lead for the housing... the first side went fast and on the first try, the second was a disaster... sweating from my brow and swearing like a sailor, It took me and a second set of hands to manipulate the housing... hint.. when pulling the housing... bend the housing piece and keep it in a U shape to facilitate the pull through ...otherwise it will look like 80's teased poodle hair by the end.

That all said, there is something peculiar to the fit of the KWing bar compared to the std aluminum FSA bar that I have used and loved for a year ... get the shifters and bar extension in a horizontal arrangement and the the handlebar flats running across point up at 45 deg.

Conversely if I make the bar flat across, the drop bar is pointing down at 45 and I am feeling like I am doing a handstand.

I guess if you are riding with your hands across the top, you are sitting back and up at which case the 45deg up orientation is suitable...

I had a G.A.S.S bar which was totally the right fit with extensions and cross flats all horizontal .. problem was that it was too narrow.

Time will tell if all this was worth it.

SHVentus said:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts