Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big guy (in spite of the seemingly inappropriate moniker) and I have been averaging 87.9 miles per week for the last 3 months according to the Polar.

Now here's what happened, on Monday I decided to make a slight I mean very slight adjustment to my seat position. I moved it forward approximately 3/16 of an inch and raised the nose slightly. I started on my ride (20 miles) and after about 1/4 mile I started getting a twinge in my left hip. Thinking it was just an old age thing I shifted my butt position slightly and kept going. After about 2 miles the twinge (it was posterior at the top of my glute) was turning into a searing pain and was starting to work its way down my butt. My stupid determinations said, "shift some more and keep going", so I did. At mile 5 the entire back of my thigh was hurting badly and it didn't matter if I was seated or standing. Fast forward to the end, I rode the 20 and by the time I was done it was all I could do to just get off the bike. My butt and leg hurt excruciatingly. Strangely it hurt when I lifted (i.e. stretched the back of my leg/butt) and not when I contracted. This led me to believe it was not muscle related. Anyway, I expected that Tuesday I would not be able to get out of bed (it hurt so bad Monday night) but to my surprise on Tuesday morning there was just the slightest hint that anything had happened. In a totally uncharacteristic move I took Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday off from the bike and was very, very careful with every move I made.
I rode yesterday and today, 30 miles each, and there was no real problem.
So I'm stumped. Did I pinch something? Am I crazy? Any help is appreciated.

· Does it matter?
760 Posts
Whenever I move my saddle, due to maintenance or adjustment, it usually feels a little different, I'd say once I'm used to a saddle position a couple of mm change, and I'll notice
it, but no pain or anything. However a couple of weeks ago I had to switch out my seat post and I had my saddle too forward by about 5 mm when I installed it, and it was an uncomfortable ride for the duration. I then corrected it. I Should have measure more carefully the first time. When you read the advice to move just a couple of mm's at at time, I tend to believe that. Maybe after the first ride, you got used to it.

· Registered
432 Posts
At 53 and having my position on my bike tuned in I am afraid to move anything. As you have found, the slight change in seating has caused some shift in your skeletal structure that likely was pinching a nerve. Why it would go away is that whatever inflammation was going on in your joint went down in a few hours after you stopped irritating it. As you also have found, the fact that you rode with a new position, your body adapted to it, so riding in that new position again did not cause the orignial symptom to reappear. This brings me to my fitting rant.

Bodies will adapt to odd postions. This is why you can see riders that are too stretched out, with seat way too low and other positional problems, riding along with nary a care in the world. They adapted. The thing is, when you are properly ergonomically fitted correctly on a bike, you can go longer distances with greater comfort. Now, when I ride, I've had a feeling that my seat would be more comfortable if I were to tilt it up just a little bit. I've kept that thought as I've ridden. I don't know if I'll change it for in 269 miles of riding, so far this month, I have adapted to the postion I'm using. Maybe next month I will just tilt my seat up a bit, but I won't move it foreward at all, for that is a different and seperate change in adjustment.

What's nice about being ergonomicaly-correctly fitted on my bike is that it feels comfortable. It stays comfortable. Even other people see me on my bike and remark that I look comfortable on it. My last ride was 58 miles. That was Thursday. This is Sunday and I'm going to go do another long bike ride. I pledged 500 miles for Bike Commute Month and I am about certain to reach my goal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.