Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
jroden's comment on True Cyclocross got me wondering...

On these forums I keep reading about how cool everyone's bike is and that's great to really dig your rig and all...it's yours and has to be the greatest...but I have just been wondering... and I am sure it is poor form on my part and inviting bad luck..but I am just curious if anyone has owned or ridden a cyclocross bike that they later concluded was just awful...a dog... a bad bike that you fooled yourself into liking until you could buy a new one? Any manufacturer you now loathe? Any rig you can't hate on enough? I'm sure a thread like this will PO a bunch of people, but I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Good question. I never got the feel for my Giant, it felt like the front always wanted to plow by maybe I'm just bad. I had a Ridley which did not fit, but if it did I'm not sure I would have liked the height. I had a Merckx that cost a good buck and wasn't anthing special. I had an old steel Guerechotti which simply sucked.

I really liked my Cannondale and my old Secialized red and white bike. I like my new Hot Tubes a lot, it has a very similar geometry to my steel Merckx road bike, so it's pretty different feeling from a regular cross bike, but after some time riding it I feel confident on it.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
those M4 cx Specialized

jroden said:
Good question. I never got the feel for my Giant, it felt like the front always wanted to plow by maybe I'm just bad. I had a Ridley which did not fit, but if it did I'm not sure I would have liked the height. I had a Merckx that cost a good buck and wasn't anthing special. I had an old steel Guerechotti which simply sucked.

I really liked my Cannondale and my old Secialized red and white bike. I like my new Hot Tubes a lot, it has a very similar geometry to my steel Merckx road bike, so it's pretty different feeling from a regular cross bike, but after some time riding it I feel confident on it.
were nice bikes. great performance, suprisingly comfortable for AL

haven't owned any bad ones. The Bianchi Cross concepi is a lovely ride but I can flex it

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speaking of Giant... they are not..mmm...bad.... but not the greatest. I know the BIG distributor and his wife (they know what they sell). The woman has a chain of Giant stores as a side project to promote the brand and keep busy. Anyway, I was in one of the stores looking around and I noticed an American guy checking out the bikes. He was trying to price everything out so he could purchase the raw Giant carbon tubesets, slap some different components on them... a new European sounding sticker... and sell them as craft or boutique bikes. There's a bit of that going on... poor to mediocre bikes with very expensive stickers.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Didn't care for my Cannondale, way too heavy for my likes and felt a bit too high on it. I loved my 2007 Redline Conquest Pro (which I sold and now regret) except that the black paint was crap and didn't hold up for nothing, but it was great at handling and was pretty comfy, if I had done it again I'd keep the Redline and maybe get it stripped and powder coated or get a few extra layers of clear coat on it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know this is bound to anger someone

but I had an Ibis Hakkalugi that just never felt that great. Not horrible, just "blah." Felt like a barge, not very responsive and not too much fun to ride. Now before I get my @$$ jumped on, I had a mojo that I loved and was a blast to ride, it just felt alive. This was partly the reason I went for the 'lugi. In hindsight, I think I might have been a little too pumped on the brand at the time and ended up with a bike that was designed with a little too much "all aroundness" instead of "raciness", fwiw. It was also my first cyclocross bike and it always seems there's growing pains with first bikes. Anyway, that's mine :thumbsup:

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
not offended at all

skinny jay said:
but I had an Ibis Hakkalugi that just never felt that great. Not horrible, just "blah." Felt like a barge, not very responsive and not too much fun to ride. Now before I get my @$$ jumped on, I had a mojo that I loved and was a blast to ride, it just felt alive. This was partly the reason I went for the 'lugi. In hindsight, I think I might have been a little too pumped on the brand at the time and ended up with a bike that was designed with a little too much "all aroundness" instead of "raciness", fwiw. It was also my first cyclocross bike and it always seems there's growing pains with first bikes. Anyway, that's mine :thumbsup:
the Hakkas aren't 'race bikes' per se, and compared to a race bike will lack that
super fast responsiveness

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
crankles said:
I don't miss my old screwed and glued Alan one bit. To be fair, it was as fine a bike as any way back when, but man, things have come a long was since those days.
I bid on an old Colnago cross bike from that era but it sold for $900. I think that was a crappy bike, as were the rest of that ilk from the 1980's. I thought it would make a neat pit bike, but maybe $200 worth.

·
Registered
64 Posts
there's really only a few things, really, about the Fetish that are annoying - the cable guide runs under the top tube; there's no rear brake cable stop, so a seat adaptor was needed and the frame alignment isnt perfect. but for $100 bucks what do you expect ? Its stealthy in black - no decals as they came off very easily.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Not hatin, but I'm not nutz about my Empella. It IS better than my Trek that I had before it, tho. Still, I'm working on the engine this yr...

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
jroden said:
I have picked up one of those fetishes, it's a tank.
Relative to? It seems to be roughly halfway between the weight of stock steel (e.g. Surly Crosscheck) and stock Sc/Al (e.g. Salsa Chili Con Crosso), and is cheaper than both (much cheaper than the latter). Seems like the cost savings on the frame would allow you to build the lightest bike of the bunch for the same money, and save the weight at wheels which would be preferable. Just theorizing. . .

·
793 Posts
I rode and raced a Bianchi Axis for about 5 years. I really liked the bike when I was riding it, as it served my purposes as an all-arounder and was raceable enough.

I don't like the fact that the frame cracked 1 month after the warranty was up. I also didn't appreciate how much of a dog the handling on that bike was until I got my new custom frame built up.

I don't know whether it was the Axis handled that bad, or my new bike handles that good, but I suspect it's both. I feel invincible on my new rig. The handling is just dialed, which is everything I could hope for in a custom frame.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, it took a while to admit, but my Waterford crosser is kind of meh on a race course. I got it used so it wasn't built for me, but the geometry is pretty much spot on what I would expect if I had ordered it custom. I've ridden other steel rigs that I loved, so it's not the material. And the geometry is pretty much what's going for standard cross these days. And it's kind of pretty (or would be with new paint). But the package together is underwhelming and I can't figure out why, just feels kind of sketchy in corners and takes a little more attention than I like overall. Still can't quite sell it though, but seems a shame to use as a pit bike.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
ZenNMotion said:
just feels kind of sketchy in corners and takes a little more attention than I like overall
Compared to what?

If you mean compared to another cross bike, ride that one. If you mean compared to a mountain bike, that'd be no big surprise.

I also wonder if it might be a wheel/tire issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.