Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my Ultegra 9-speed cassette, is the first cog switch simple? Can I use the 11-cog from an 8-speed cassette? Better to switch the first two, so I have an 11-12-14 sequence? Just want more top end from my compact crank while cruising the flats of Iowa next month.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The 8-speed first position cog will have a thicker built-in spacer than the 9-speed. You could probably grind it down with a bench grinder but it's much too hard to try to file down. Or it may work OK as is. Of course you'll also need the 11t lock ring which has a smaller OD than the standard lockring.

Personally I'm sure I'd have more use for the 12 or 13 than the 11. Even with the compact crankset there aren't that many times you'll need an 11, and as you know, you'll have to give up a better cog somewhere else on the cassette.

Al

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Flats of Iowa.

Heck, Iowa is so easy, I'm shocked you aren't going singlespeed. I've gone on about 10 July trips in Iowa. I think this summer's trip may be a bit hillier than normal. Just my .02

·
Registered
84 Posts
breadrunner said:
For my Ultegra 9-speed cassette, is the first cog switch simple? Can I use the 11-cog from an 8-speed cassette? Better to switch the first two, so I have an 11-12-14 sequence? Just want more top end from my compact crank while cruising the flats of Iowa next month.
The index spacing and probably the teeth thickness will larger for the 8 speed cogs. It should work but it won't be optimal and it will aggravate you. I used the 11-12 and the lock ring from a mtb cassette (which you always seem to see on sale for < $30) and it works fine with my 12-27. I do miss the 13 many times though.

glenk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.