Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've got my mudders now I need another wheelset. Wondering what worked for people who raced in New England this past season. An injury kept me sidelined the whole season and I'm looking foward to the next season already..

I've looked at old posts, read the velo news tubular guide but wanted some first hand info on tires used this season likes/dislikes what u would run again.

looking for an all rounder I dont want 3 sets of wheels ( do but cant afford) just 2. The FMBs sprint looks preety sweet, beefy middle tread with fairly large side knobs.

Well whadda ya say??

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well I really don't have anything to add to this but I'm going to keep my eye on this thread. I live in NE and I'm going to start to race again this year. I'm looking for some all arounder tubies too. FMBs look good but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it for me. I'm really not competative in races I do it for fun. I'm considering Griffos but I'm curious about any other options out there. If you like Dugasts why not get their file treads?

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same decision to make as you, though I live in the midwest. I have some Rhinos that are great for mud, and needed to replace my other wheelset's Tufo Flexus tires. I was going to go with the Pips, but decided against it when I noticed they removed the nice edge knobs this year. I was then going to go with the FMB Sprints, but ultimately decided on some Typhoons when they went on sale at Cyclocrossworld. I hope I made the right decision, but I sometimes wonder whether the Sprints wouldn't have been a better choice. Ohmygosh, I'm just thankful I have two sets of nice tubulars and can't wait until September!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I've seen

lots of guys running combo rigs
of Grifo and Grifo file tread rear

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same 'dilemma' in preparing for the upcoming season. I've decided to go with a SSC 34 in the front, and a SSC Sprint 34 in the rear. I've raced the SSC 32s (as a f/r pair) for two seasons as my mud tires and the SSC Sprint 34s (as a f/r pair) for dry conditions for two seasons. You're right - the knobs at the lateral aspects of the treads on the Sprints grip really well and, depending on the size of rim and the quality of the glue job, they allow you to run pressures a few PSI lower than you might otherwise be able to without worrying about that spooky wobbly feeling while cornering and on off-camber sections. Plus, I'll make no bones about my bias, I've got a lot of faith in Francois and really like supporting him and his work.

I raced the SSC Sprints in the last two New England Verge races (which were somewhat wet and snowy) and was really pretty surprised with their versatility. Of course, they are somewhat cost prohibitive. Other options that I considered were: SSC Sprints (34 f/r), Typhoons (34 f/r), and, like ATP Junkie had said, the Grifo/ Grifo XS (34/34) combo. For dry conditions, I'm sold on the larger-volume, wider surface area tires, but, as I'm sure you know, there are countless threads in the cyclo-cross forum and on numerous MTBR forums that are dedicated to that debate.

Best of luck this season; I can't emphasize enough how much fun it was to race in Rhode Island last December.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
You've mentioned this a kabillion times. It sounds like a good idea. I have the XS's and my old Grifo's (which really aren't in bad shape, esp the front.) I just might glue up the XS and a Grifo for my race wheels along with a Fango wheelset, or if I find a CHEAP front tubie, I can just mount a Grifo and a XS to swap around for most races. Fangos will be the slop tires.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
maybe it is SoCal thing

we have really bad dirt
hard packed sandstone that turns to powdered toast on river rock
so you don't need much traction in the rear, but you do need some bite up front. Works on MTBs as well and you just learn to slide the back end abit
I know guys do this in other regions as well where a semi isn't quite enough.So if you have a set of grifos, then have an extra back wheel with the XS, or a full set
one set of grifos and 1 set of XS = 3 wheel choices

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
on yer left said:
Okay I've got my mudders now I need another wheelset. Wondering what worked for people who raced in New England this past season. An injury kept me sidelined the whole season and I'm looking foward to the next season already..

I've looked at old posts, read the velo news tubular guide but wanted some first hand info on tires used this season likes/dislikes what u would run again.

looking for an all rounder I dont want 3 sets of wheels ( do but cant afford) just 2. The FMBs sprint looks preety sweet, beefy middle tread with fairly large side knobs.

Well whadda ya say??
file treads.

you'll be amazed by their versatility.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
myette10 said:
file treads.

you'll be amazed by their versatility.
Is there one in particular you like? What conditions do they work well in?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
Coolhand said:
Is there one in particular you like? What conditions do they work well in?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:
I've only used the grifo, but assume that the tread pattern on the others would be just as good, with the differences limited to the casing etc.

I use them in everything other than mud, and even then if there is just a little mud and perhaps some pavement to clear them afterwards, I'd use them. I used them on a rainy day at gravely/sandy course and they were fine then too.

Dry, frozen, snow, ice... it's all been good to me and my file treads.

I was surprised how well they worked on a course that had some significant dirt singletrack as well. The soil wasn't dry, but not muddy either. The consistency of potting soil, but of course not as loose. I thought "knobby, like a mtn bike tire" but gave the file treads a good run during warm-ups because I was too lazy to swap wheels. They were excellent and I raced them to a good result.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
There's a guy who posts here who races where I race (mid-atlantic) that used them in almost all of the races last season, including one that had significant sections of mud. And he ain't slow.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
Hmmm. . . . .

:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just to be fair, Myette convinced me to run the SSC Sprints in snowy/wet/frozen conditions. I didn't race well, but it sure wasn't because I was lacking in treads. Those tires were my best ally during races featuring those conditions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't forget the psychological component of grip: if you don't think it'll stick, you won't ride like it will. I tried some Grifo XS tubs last season but had no confidence in them. They may have rolled and cornered great, but I was overbraking every turn because I didn't trust 'em. I even spent a lot of time practicing with 'em, trying to convince myself that I was good enough to ride 'em. Had much more success with std Grifos, which just felt more solid.

·
check out the podium
535 Posts
danwerle said:
Just to be fair, Myette convinced me to run the SSC Sprints in snowy/wet/frozen conditions. I didn't race well, but it sure wasn't because I was lacking in treads. Those tires were my best ally during races featuring those conditions.
I flatted my rear grifo two weeks before the NBX weekend that Dan's talking about and borrowed a pair from a friend for those races specifically because I knew it would be frozen, snowy, or both. They were great.

Sidsport makes a good point. Confidence in your equipment goes a long way, so make sure that you believe in whatever you pick.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My separated shoulder from last season preriding with the XS begs to differ. I was very confident they would rock, but wet+grass=someone pulled the rug out from under me.

BUT, I ran them on a dry grass day for my first win ever.

Ran XS rear and Grifo front on a dirt/grass hardpack race for a 2nd.

Picked up a set of Rhinos as well this year. They are stretching right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts