Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'cause I'm flying out of the midwest tomorrow on my way to Maui for 8 days! Yeehaa! :cool:

And yes, I have my Sidi's just in case I want to ride with the group at gomauicycling.com

Enjoy the snow. By the way, it was 70 here in the Cincinnnati area today, high of 47 tomorrow and snow by Monday. :D

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
If you are feeling energetic climb haleakela

I did the climb in December. Originally I thought it would take 3 hours to climb until I heard the record was 2' 45" by a pro climber. Then I planned on 4 hours. Spent over 5 hours going up and 4 1/2 hours on the bike. Came close to calling it quits at 8500 feet when my legs cramped. But, after 15-20 minutes the cramps went away and I finished and was all smiles at the top. Longest 35 miles of my life.

Only a few fools a week go up, while hundreds of folk cost down each day.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am impressed

My wife and I drove up the climb. Heck, my car was exhausted at the top. I've climbed some 12,000 foot mountains but never starting at zero elevation. I imagine it was quite a challenge. I'm not surprised that it took 5 hours with the distance, steepness, wind and cold.

Our trip was kind of spur of the moment, so only I had a jacket. To avoid hearing my wife complain all afternoon, I let her have it. So there I am, at 10,023' of elevation, 40 degrees, 40 mph wind, standing outside taking pictures while wearing only sandals, swimtrunks and a T-shirt. I must of looked like the stupidest tourist on the island. To ride that mountain, I would have had to have a triple and have been in better shape. We had acquaintances on the trip that rode down the mountain. They were telling us how "great" it was and that we should do it. I stayed nicely quiet. Finally, after they prodded once too much, my wife just told them that (as an avid cyclist) "my husband would be bored riding down at 15mph, he'd rather climb up the mountain" That shut'em up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.