Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
It's the other giant...

You see there is the giant of a man who lives in Waterloo, WI....well you get the idea.

TF

·
Registered
140 Posts
i bet that's the same guy...

dieselforlife said:
The guy at my lbs is telling that Giant makes Treks oclv framesets. Whats he talkin about?
who told me that all seatposts are the same length.

:eek:

rt

·
Administrator
12,975 Posts
dieselforlife said:
The guy at my lbs is telling that Giant makes Treks oclv framesets. Whats he talkin about?
He is either having fun with you, or made a understandable mistake. Giant makes a crapload of bikes for other people. Trek is not one of them OCLV is their baby, and they are quite protective of it.

However, a few Taiwan manufacturers do produce alot of the stuff you see in shops. Although mainland China is starting to catch up on the lower end stuff. That was one of the reasons for the big expansion in carbon parts and seat and chain stays capacity in Taiwan this year- fear of the lower prices offered by Mainland manufacturing. The upside is lots of affordable carbon goodies this year.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
Thats funny. I think the 04 TCR carbon is better then the 5200,imo. Maybe trek wishes Giant did.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Nope.

dieselforlife said:
He doesn't know what he's talking about, but I think I know where he's talking from.

Trek OCLV frames use carbon tubes bonded to carbon lugs. Giant TCR carbons are a true monocoque. I think Giant makes some of Trek's lower-end Al frames, altough it could be another Taiwanese company. The OCLVs are made in Waterloo.

--Shannon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts