Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cervelo r2.5 broke. got an r3 as a replacement. i find it attrociously hideous. but that's just my aesthetic taste. anyway, i'm gonna sell the frame. i was gonna get the Look 585 to build up a 15 lbs wonderbike with all my campy record bits. but now that i've been stripped of a super-high-end bike (ie: r2.5/record) and riding my centaur/veloce equipped Schwinn Peloton and my chorus equipped 'rello Prince i find thay they are very fine bicycles.

it just doesn't seem right somehow. i'll wander by a bike shop with all sorts of carbon this and titanium that, and it doesn't generate the same kind of reaction it once did. is something wrong with me?

if i do get another frame, i'm at least gonna wait until the fall when '06 models start going on sale.

maybe i should bring this up with my therapist this afternoon

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
I like to think of it as maturity

Your first sentence--your bike broke--is the same one that jolted me out of my brief fling with allegedly high performance bikes. I'm a Clydesdale even when I'm in shape (which hasn't happened yet this spring...), and I just got tired of fixing stuff when I wanted to be riding, plus I broke a couple of frames in ways that seemed to puzzle the dealer. I finally bought an Atlantis and Rambouillet, and now when people pass me (as a lot of them do) on those fragile boy-racer bikes, I sneer. It's still a slightly envious sneer, but....

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i would say you have matured

you have realized that aint so much the zoot bike as it is actually getting out there and riding. sure, i would love to have a feather light carbon or ti bike with sweet wheels, sidi shoes, slick helmet, and cool kit. but i dont race. and never will. i just need something i can rely on and i wont feel too bad if it gets dinged, scratched, or whathaveyou. plus, i do my own wrenching, and i would feel awful if i knicked or over torqued some high-end component.

now get your butt over to the fixed forum. salivate at the custom vanillas and pistas. consider the milwaukee cycles and langster. then get an old steel bike, convert it, and love the ride even more.

G

·
I don't know. I still get significant gear lust. I lust after fine steel frames with beautiful paint jobs and jaw dropping lug work.

I drool over polished and gleaming Super Record components.

I dream of finely wrought 36 spoke hand built wheels with Silk tubulars.

Still gear lust.

Different gear.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,354 Posts
Speed_Metal said:
my cervelo r2.5 broke. got an r3 as a replacement. i find it attrociously hideous. but that's just my aesthetic taste. anyway, i'm gonna sell the frame. i was gonna get the Look 585 to build up a 15 lbs wonderbike with all my campy record bits. but now that i've been stripped of a super-high-end bike (ie: r2.5/record) and riding my centaur/veloce equipped Schwinn Peloton and my chorus equipped 'rello Prince i find thay they are very fine bicycles.

it just doesn't seem right somehow. i'll wander by a bike shop with all sorts of carbon this and titanium that, and it doesn't generate the same kind of reaction it once did. is something wrong with me?

if i do get another frame, i'm at least gonna wait until the fall when '06 models start going on sale.

The exact same thing happened to me, literally, although I went ahead and bought the Look and just got back from my first twenty miles. Now I have the Look with DA and a new CAAD8 w/ '03 Ultegra and that's enough!

I'm done now, though, and suffering a little bit of consumer burn out. Hopefully it lasts but I know sooner or later I'll "need" something else.

On the other hand, my mountain bike could sure use some love...

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
you're fine. more than fine. i went through the same thing. with bikes and with watches.

it used to be a pinarello with campy, these days a giant w/shimano is fine by me.

:)

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
I'm happy with what I have, but am a little concerned that when I bought my
roadie it was before 10 speed, it's thin aluminum so it could disintegrate if I
get too fat (easily done in winter in Minnesota) but I'll ride the hell out of it
nonetheless because (1) I ain't got the dough to replace it and (2) I like it.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
With me, gear lust is a cyclical thing. (Sorry--that was too much to resist.) I can be sane, responsible, "mature" and rational for weeks or months at a time, and then I see or think of something I absitively, posolutely must have--at the moment, that would be a new front wheel with a Schmidt dynamo hub and a pair of E6 lights. I've held off for about a week now, but I don't know how much longer I can restrain myself....

Don't worry. I'm sure you'll have a relapse soon and everything will be O.K.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Speed_Metal said:

Same thing happened to me. I love the way the Cannondale R5000 looks, feels, and rides, and weighs... and everything about it. I dreamed about it, literally.
Started racing... I find that I'm in breakaways beating the next kids in by 5.3 miles, in a 27 mile race. All the other guys in the breakaway are running DuraAce or Ultegra, and in a 4 man break, 2 are riding CF, 1's riding high end aluminum, and there I am on my 105-equipped 2 or 3 year old (these bikes these guys were riding were very new, like 06's, 05's) Trek 1200. 23.5 pounds, Tiagra brifters, triple crank, SPD pedals, MTB shoes... left side top strap doesnt work. So i had my shoe duct taped shut.
Really opened my eyes that it's the rider, not the bike. Cuz I beat a couple guys with DA, Ultegra, CF, CF tubies... Suddenly that R5000 isnt an immediate need, training more is.
Lately my lust has been after new shoes. Rightfully so, I think... :p . And more shorts, cuz I have all of 3 pairs, and one is a short, not a bib, which is somewhat trashed from getting hit wearing them...
-estone2

·
Registered
363 Posts
I catch hell from my teammates all the time about the same thing. We are all young guys and most of them are new to the sport. I have been racing about 9 years and have had my fair share of nice bikes, road and mountain. I took a 2 year break off of riding, sold all my "nice bikes" and kept around my '01 Cdale cross rig for general purpose riding.
I ride everyday with guys on R5000s, Mercks, Madones, Cervelos, etc. and they all rib me with the "so when are you going to get a real bike?" I just respond by turning up the heat and smiling. It's not the bike, it's the engine.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
lemonlime said:
The exact same thing happened to me, literally, although I went ahead and bought the Look and just got back from my first twenty miles. Now I have the Look with DA and a new CAAD8 w/ '03 Ultegra and that's enough!

I'm done now, though, and suffering a little bit of consumer burn out. Hopefully it lasts but I know sooner or later I'll "need" something else.

On the other hand, my mountain bike could sure use some love...
I read the OP and I did a double take that it wasn't you that was posting......

Crazy coincidence. By the way, Lemonlime's 585 is sick. The best looking bike I have ever seen in person.

·
Registered
635 Posts
estone2 said:
Same thing happened to me. I love the way the Cannondale R5000 looks, feels, and rides, and weighs... and everything about it. I dreamed about it, literally.
Started racing... I find that I'm in breakaways beating the next kids in by 5.3 miles, in a 27 mile race. All the other guys in the breakaway are running DuraAce or Ultegra, and in a 4 man break, 2 are riding CF, 1's riding high end aluminum, and there I am on my 105-equipped 2 or 3 year old (these bikes these guys were riding were very new, like 06's, 05's) Trek 1200. 23.5 pounds, Tiagra brifters, triple crank, SPD pedals, MTB shoes... left side top strap doesnt work. So i had my shoe duct taped shut.
Really opened my eyes that it's the rider, not the bike. Cuz I beat a couple guys with DA, Ultegra, CF, CF tubies... Suddenly that R5000 isnt an immediate need, training more is.
Lately my lust has been after new shoes. Rightfully so, I think... :p . And more shorts, cuz I have all of 3 pairs, and one is a short, not a bib, which is somewhat trashed from getting hit wearing them...
-estone2
not exactly the same, but passing a guy in the final sprint last weekend who was on one of the cf orbea's (dont remember which one) w/ zipps, tubbies, campy record, deda cockpit, etc.....me on my tourmalet w/ 105 and a few small upgrades (pedals, seat, bar/stem) all for fit and all used from ebay......going into the crit all i wanted was a new set of wheels to replace the bonti selects i have.....now, well, i still want the wheels, but not nearly as much.

although i swapped bikes with my dad for a ride (he has a trek 2200 w/ fenders, rack, tribars and a ton of other crap that i would never put on a bike but he thinks makes his bike more '"versatile") and i swear he rode 5mph avg. over those 25 miles then he normally does, even more on the climbs.....weird.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
"it just doesn't seem right somehow. i'll wander by a bike shop with all sorts of carbon this and titanium that, and it doesn't generate the same kind of reaction it once did. is something wrong with me?"
There's absolutely nothing wrong with you. You just woke up and smelled the coffee, that's all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.