Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at least are personally familiar with) bought or built more bikes with SRAM than Shimano in the last year or two? I counted in a group ride this weekend, and the newer bikes were probably 2-1 SRAM.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Not around Chicagoland.
On my training rides, I see:
50% Shimano
35% Campy
15% SRAM

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I see more Shimano, especially Ultegra 6700

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
More people (by a small margin) buy shimano because its on many more bikes. Sram will be picking up more sales very soon though. Shimano needs something up their sleeves and i think they have the Ace.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
More people are either purchasing bikes with SRAM or are changing to SRAM around here...but the vast majority are still Shimano. I don't see a whole lot of Campy though.

A few more years from now and I would expect to see more ov a 50/50 split between SRAM and Shimano just do to the OEM push SRAM is doing right now. It takes a while to catch up with the market share that Shimano has held for quite a while.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
More people (by a small margin) buy shimano because its on many more bikes. Sram will be picking up more sales very soon though. Shimano needs something up their sleeves and i think they have the Ace.
Is this like a double negative?

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
as a mechanic at a shop seeing the end of the 2010 line and the beginnings of the 2011 line, it's more like 45% shimano, 45% sram and 10% campy.

this is with box-up bikes (felt, scott, c-dale) going mainly sram/shimano as well as full/semi customs (look/colnago) mainly going campy.

i chatted with our felt rep last week and they're offering most of their med/high end bikes w/ the option of either sram or shimano right out of the box.

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
I just moved to SRAM on my new build. I love the ergonomic feel and the mechanical action hands down over ShimaNO
:)

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
2cflyr said:
as a mechanic at a shop seeing the end of the 2010 line and the beginnings of the 2011 line, it's more like 45% shimano, 45% sram and 10% campy.
QUOTE]

Sounds about right: 45% Ford, 45% Chevy, 10% Ferrari..... :D

·
that ain't chamois cream
645 Posts
I see very, very little SRAM where I'm at (SW Ontario). All but one of the local roadie shops have studiously avoided SRAM-equipped bikes, and don't stock the components other than maybe the chains. At our weeknight hammerfest, I think there might be at most one person riding a SRAM-equipped bike out of the 40 that show up.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
In N. Central Ohio, on group rides I notice about 90% Shimano, 10% Campy, and I have never seen a Sram equipped bike. Ever. Not even in a store.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Personally, as in friends, are all Shimano-equipped and barely ride in general. The guy who I've somewhat been evading for a ride is on Red however.

Encounters however...that's mixed. Last guy I was talking to didn't have to mention his über Record group for me to start lusting. :(

I'm personally on a Shimano setup sans the SRAM cassette.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
OES said:
at least are personally familiar with) bought or built more bikes with SRAM than Shimano in the last year or two? I counted in a group ride this weekend, and the newer bikes were probably 2-1 SRAM.
Of the people I know who have bought road bikes in the last year, a significant majority have SRAM (myself included).

At least for me, I picked the gruppo and after test-riding the 2009 SRAM, Campy, and Shimano I went with SRAM.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I've seen a boatload of people really upset with their Sram and their Garmins. Still, I like Sram but it just takes some getting used to.

Guess it's hard to teach a old dog new tricks.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Yes to the OP. The racer crowd I hang with is spec'ing new bikes with SRAM, almost exclusively.

Even the rich dentist crowd, has abandoned their Campy 11 Pinarellos in favor of SRAM on Treks.

/ note - I'm not talking about factory-spec'd OEM bikes. I'm talking about built from parts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts