Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a quick spin to the bike shop Saturday and by one of my jobs to pick up my check. Wife and the kids went to see a movie. I was going to get some hours in for one of my other jobs.

After picking up my check I was on my way to the shop and looked at the sky and the sun and hit the Belt Parkway all the way out to Kennedy Airport for an out and back.

A good 50 miler without a water bottle, patch kit, or tubes, with only an uncashed check and 20 bucks in my pocket. I was praying everytime I rode through sparkling stuff on the path.

Rode the Coney Island Boardwalk for a few blocks.

Part of the Belt bike path after Neptune is still covered in sand from the hurricane last year.

Nice impromptu ride. Easy and low key. Felt good afterwards.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
No.
But a few years ago, early spring, I was out riding with my unkempt winter beard and a few kids yelled out "Go Forrest".

That made me smile. Those kids put a little more thought into it than the typical, at that time, "Go Lance".

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,193 Posts
I actually knew a local guy. His wife left him, he lost his "big kid" job, and all he had left was his bike shop job. So, he just started riding...crossed the country north to south, and east to west before returning home.

·
Banned
697 Posts
I know the feeling of praying I don't get a flat when I am freezing and want to get home. Changing a flat with frozen hands and numb toes is a nightmare if it happens at the wrong time. I try to cycle close to home in cold weather. I don't know how you can do 50 miles without water unless you stopped along the way and bought some liquids.

I once did some 30 miles mountain biking on rough trails without water in the Summer and near the end I felt like I hit a wall. Never again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Pulled one last year. Stopped at the beach for a few minutes to drink and eat. a little. Took off after my rest. About a mile down the road thought it was bright out, it was at that point I realized that my sunglasses and helmet were back at the beach on the bench. Double timed back to find both have been adopted by a little old lady till the owner came back to claim them.

That's my Gump story for today :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had ridden--a lot--for about 20 years... Was out on a training ride... Suddenly I felt the urge to stop.. I pulled over, unclipped, put my foot down, and said "Thats It"...

I did not ride again until this February--13 years later...

:crazy:

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I went for a quick spin to the bike shop Saturday and by one of my jobs to pick up my check. Wife and the kids went to see a movie. I was going to get some hours in for one of my other jobs.

After picking up my check I was on my way to the shop and looked at the sky and the sun and hit the Belt Parkway all the way out to Kennedy Airport for an out and back.

A good 50 miler without a water bottle, patch kit, or tubes, with only an uncashed check and 20 bucks in my pocket. I was praying everytime I rode through sparkling stuff on the path.

Rode the Coney Island Boardwalk for a few blocks.

Part of the Belt bike path after Neptune is still covered in sand from the hurricane last year.

Nice impromptu ride. Easy and low key. Felt good afterwards.
Nice. Would like to do that. But i keep all the emergency stuff in the saddle bag so maybe not without that.

I love riding for a purpose. And for none.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.