Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been cycling 40 years, I think I have seen almost everything, this happened going down a mountain pass thoughtI had broken a spoke

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Nope, never seen anything like that.

How much time/mileage on that hub? Was it a stock wheel? Custom build or rebuild? Recently worked on?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,951 Posts
What year hub? Did the crack go through the hub, or only just the plastic shell? Least I thought the plastic outer layer was just a non load bearing cover...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
never been worked on, thought they were bullet proof, to my knowledge they were campy machine made

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
What year hub? Did the crack go through the hub, or only just the plastic shell? Least I thought the plastic outer layer was just a non load bearing cover...
This is the first iteration of the Neutron with an alloy hub. I have them.

The current "Ultra" has a different shell and flange setup. I have them too.

Not sure the age but could be up to 15 years?

Fatigue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a set of Eurus also think it has the same hub, does help on confidence level!

I have an email into Campy I will post what they say

Had an issue a couple of years ago w a Velocity rim potato chipping on me got hurt pretty bad, there is a post on this site where the President of co got involved, he asked the rider in a scolding fashion why he did not contact Velocity 1st instead of complaining on RBR, he was really asking if anybody had the same problem like I did, so I contacted them they sent me a questionnare 1 Were the wheels custom built 2. were they machine built and something else, once they found out they were custom built they never even Replied back!
F Velocity!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,951 Posts
This is the first iteration of the Neutron with an alloy hub. I have them.

The current "Ultra" has a different shell and flange setup. I have them too.

Not sure the age but could be up to 15 years?

Fatigue?
They looked like my ca. 2006 Zonda set I bought forever ago and retired.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Plastic shell? You can see the axle in the picture. Traditional hubs have a flange that is drilled for the spokes, but these hubs use direct pull spokes that connect to the hub shell (no flange). In a traditional hub, the spoke forces are on the flange but in this design the forces are in the hub shell. When there is high stress or a manufacturing failure (e.g. grain lines in the metal) this will be the failure mode.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Good call, so you would tend to believe this is common problem with their hubs?
I've been using Campy equipment for a long time, and active in the forums for a long time also, and yours is the first ever case I've come across like this.

So no, it's far from being a common problem.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Aluminium fatigue, probably. These are rather old wheels.
I have two sets with the same hubs, a 2003 Eurus and a ~2005 Nucleon.

Cold set: You mean galvanic corrosion "welding" two different metals together?

·
Super Moderator
40,809 Posts
Aluminium fatigue, probably. These are rather old wheels.
I have two sets with the same hubs, a 2003 Eurus and a ~2005 Nucleon.

Cold set: You mean galvanic corrosion "welding" two different metals together?
I think he means work-hardened; as I understand it, it's when the crystalline (?) structure of the metal becomes distorted due to force(s) on the metal--e.g., the bending of a coat hanger; the force of bending compresses the structure on one side, and this cannot be uncompressed through "re-bending," so the coat hanger will never be like it was before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, that makes sense!

I will not comment on our Reality star leader, but this cabinet makes no sense!

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
What do you mean by cold set?
Cold set in common usage means "bent without heat." So you can cold set a steel frame to widen the rear triangle. Cold set aluminum is usually a dangerous situation because when you bend it, you damage it (unlike steel). A cold set aluminum rim would be out of round or out of true when you removed the spokes. To build such a rim into a round and true wheel you might see significant variations in spoke tension.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Remember back in the day you could bend steel rear triangle to accommodate 6,7 and 8 spds. People used to use a 2"x4" if they didn't have the park or Campy tool! I had a aluminum boat that would not fit in my garage, I took it apart and took the aluminum I-Beams it to a trailer builder and he warned me that it may break, but would do it while they were rebending, he went on to day I would be alright after that, if it made it thru the rebending

1 - 19 of 19 Posts