Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Excuse the call in here but there is only one entry in the "Other" discussion group ... and he is looking for LURVE.

So, I'm off to Hawaii for 4 days next month (April 3-6) with a bunch of sales tossers.

The only thing going for this trip are the beaches, the sun and THE RIDES.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a road bike for rent store and some rides ?
Any experience out there ?

Thanks,

craigg.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Try Island Triathlon and Bike on Kapahulu Avenue.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Try www.bocahawaii.com. They rent bikes and if nothing else can direct you to someone who has what you need. www.hbl.org has a ride listing and you can pm me when you get closer to your trip. Sunday mornings at 0730 there is usually a group that rolls from the fountain at Kapiolani Park that does about 50 miles with some two climbs and some back roads.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
I used to work with Raul when we both worked at IT&B in the early 90s. It's good to see he is doing well.

Pb

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
some experience

I took my bike with me a fews years back when there on business. I remember there being a lot of traffic and plenty of scary tourist buses with mirrors handing way out. We stayed in Waikiki. I mainly rode on the highway around the perimeter (72??) or around Diamond Head. Mt Tantalus on the outskirts of Honolulu is a Cat 3 climb I believe and is pretty scenic. There always seemed to be a good number of riders there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for info

Thanks all for information. This discussion forum rocks !

Bigbill; I'll try ping you when I have details (April 3-6).

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,

craigg.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Cat 3, eh? Make me feel a little better about sucking wind on that climb. Folks I ride with have said it would only barely be a Cat 5.

The Bike Shop on King is your best bet for renting a bike. http://www.bikeshophawaii.com/

IT&B (my LBS) is a great place for info about rides. Head there for a Honolulu Bicycle League http://www.hbl.org/maps/maps.html map if the bike shop doesn't give you one. There is a shop ride on Wednesdays at 4:30, heading out to Hawaii Kai and back.

Boca has a few rentals, but mostly sells used bikes. Last time I was in there (two days ago), I think they only had a couple of mtn bikes for rent. If you are going to do the Sunday am ride, be aware that they have some very good riders (Cat 2, which is about the highest you can go on the island). Ray at Boca has ridden some 300,000 miles on the island, so he could probably tell you where to go based on your ability.

Some suggestions:

Leave from Kapiolani Park
-head out to Sandy Beach and back, about 28 miles
-head out around Makapuu to Kailua/Lanikai, about 46 miles

Leave from Kualoa Regional Park (north of Kaneohe)
-head up along the coast to the North Shore; only two traffic lights, one in Kahuku, one at the Foodland/Starbucks, which is the 48 mile turn around point; head out past Foodland to past Waimea if you want to do a bit of an incline

Hill Hell
-why just do Tantalus, when you can do Sierra Dr. and St. Louis Heights as well?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I have done Tantalus a couple of times. A nice ride is the Tantalus climb followed by the Pali long loop. The descent on Pali on a windy day is a little unnerving. The view is nice though. I don't mind either climb, the climb that kicks my ass is pineapple hill on a hot day. I don't know what it is about it, but it kills me. I am doing it this Saturday. If you wanted to bring your own bike, most of bike shops here have unpacking and packing services.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I was going to put Pineapple Hill on the rides list, but I didn't know the street names to turn on starting from Mokuleia. That is a hill that goes on and on and on. And on.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Just got back Saturday; worth finding a local shop

I wasn't there long and was too busy to ride, but I just got back from Oahu on Saturday. I saw lots of places I'd like to go, but there seemed to be a general lack of shoulders and huge oversupply of distracted tourists driving cars they weren't familiar with. I'd definitely find a shop or a local like BigBill to get some suggestions.
We stayed in a rented house in Kaneohe, 10 or 12 miles from Honolulu (turned out to be quite a bit cheaper than a hotel), and that was pretty nice. You're close enough to Waikiki to drive over for lunch and the touristy stuff, but out of the worst of the traffic and Hard Rock-Chili's-Johnny Rocket's-TGIFriday's madhouse. I'm always surprised at the number of people who'll fly 3000 miles to eat dinner in a place they can find three blocks from home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts