Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in week three of Carmichael's TCTP and was out doing intervals the other day. I had just started one when this older guy turned onto the road (on a road bike) up ahead of me. I caught and passed him with about a minute left in my interval. So naturally I went into my recovery period and he passed me back. I'm sure he thought I was some dufus that had to prove my manliness by passing him and then blowing up down the road. He kept looking back to see where I was and then I started my next interval and passed him again. But this time I passed him early enough in the interval that I put a pretty big gap on him. Toward the end of the next recovery cycle I looked back and he had his head down and was hammering away but I started the next interval and that was all she wrote. He probably thought I was an ARP.

·
always right sometimes
1,836 Posts
Happens all the time...if they know what's up...they probably figure you are doing intervals.

I hate passing someone at the tail end of an interval too though...I always see them up ahead and think...argh not again..

Riding coastline San Diego...it never fails. I try to do most interval training on a closed course near me house with fewer cyclists.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I say who care what the guy thought.

What I hate is guys who will latch onto your wheel when you're intentionally doing a solo ride. I had three tri geeks do that to me over the winter when I was doing a tempo/threshold solo effort. They were all on TT bikes and one was running 404s or 808s. Since I was on my road bike, there was no way I was going to drop them (the road was dead flat and straight), but I did punish them.

·
Off the back
1,820 Posts
I stopped doing intervals solely because of this.

Not really. It's cuz they kick your butt. :-0

I quickly recognize when somebody is out doing intervals. It's fairly obvious when the rider slows to a walking pace.

·
Registered
9,694 Posts
Speedi Pig said:
I say who care what the guy thought.
I'd care.

No need to make anyone uncomfortable I've never been on the receiving end of it but I'd imagine if the person didn't catch on to why some guy was blowing by and then slowing so he could do it again I'd think he'd be made uneasy.

If I'm doing intervals where that situation is created I'd either do a really long one so he's gone for good, take a turn, or as a last resort I'd pull along side and explain that it's just a training thing and I'm not trying to mess with him.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
Been there and done that.
As Speedi Pig said, who cares. I don't.
The fact that he kept looking back, he might have been the jerk....
Two things I don't do after passing a rider is a) look back and b) don't really think about it.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
Jay Strongbow said:
If some guy kept passing me and slowing down so he could pass me again I'd be on the lookout too. I'd don't imagine putting yourself in another's shoes is something you're familiar with but give it a shot sometime.
Why do you asssume that someone passes you and slow down, so he can pass you again?
I see many riders do the samething to me, and it appears that they are doing the interval training. I can't speak for the riders in your area, but it seems be the case in my area.
And no it doesn't bother me at all.
Been riding close to 30 years, and there are a helluva lot of things that bugs me, but this isn't one of them.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
Jay Strongbow said:
It's not an assumption....it's what happened and the topic.
I'm talking about your assumption (no need to make someone uncomfortable).
Many people would be comfortable with getting passed muliple times, because it's fairly easy to read who is doing interval training.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Games played

cpark said:
Why do you asssume that someone passes you and slow down, so he can pass you again?
A twist on this is the "mystery racer" who knows that he's racing you, even if you don't. He comes barreling by but then runs out of gas. You hold your pace and pass him while he's catching his breath. Then he does it again. Amusing? Sometimes. Annoying? Sometimes.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was riding out to my club's meeting place and saw a guy up the road. I increased my speed a little but wasn't really trying to catch him. He would either be going to the same place I was or he would turn off somewhere so who cares. He kept looking back and slowing down and when I got close he took off with his head down as if he was trying to get away from me. I basically kept the same speed the whole time (at least 10 minutes of this). I figured the guy was an idiot but maybe he was doing intervals too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Somewhat related, is when you come upon someone, especially on a climb, and that person then speeds up to try to prevent you from passing or to get on your wheel. I hate that! If I get passed, I don't change my speed. When I'm out riding, I'm doing my own thing and don't want to compete with people or have someone I don't know right on my wheel!!

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Played some leap frog with a guy before. Passes me early, and then I pick up rhythm during the climb to 'politely' pass him. He immediately makes a push, actually coughing, to finally pass me when I slow down on a 11% grade. Perhaps he was choking on a carrot, or couldn't stand getting beat by some guy (me) in jeans and a t-shirt. Not a clue, but I do know this guy was wearing a Pinarello jersey while riding a Trek, and that's enough to make things out of.

Generally, I make space for passing bikers/bikers passing, use them as pace guides when it looks reasonable, and don't bother with a 'response' when passed. Otherwise, I'm not thinking about what another rider is doing as long as it's not seemingly dangerous. I don't see the point of making a race out of an encounter if it's disrupting the solo ride plan for the day. God knows how snooty the other rider could be.

*Fixed.:prrr:

·
always right sometimes
1,836 Posts
Ventruck said:
Played some leap frog with a guy before. Passes me early, and then I pick up rhythm during the climb to 'politely' pass him. He immediately makes a push, actually coughing, to finally pass me when I slow down on a 11% grade. Perhaps he was choking on a carrot, or couldn't stand getting beat by some guy (me) in jeans and a t-shirt. Not a clue, but I do know this guy was wearing a Pinarello jersey while wearing a Trek, and that's enough to make things out of.

Generally, I make space for passing bikers/bikers passing, use them as pace guides when it looks reasonable, and don't bother with a 'response' when passed. Otherwise, I'm not thinking about what another rider is doing as long as it's not seemingly dangerous. I don't see the point of making a race out of an encounter if it's disrupting the solo ride plan for the day. God knows how snooty the other rider could be.

How was he "wearing a Trek"? That would be quite a fashion statement.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.