Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
It will be a VAST difference in handling. If the bike were used ONLY for criteriums AND you LIVED for criteriums AND positively had to have fast steering, then you would get the 74.5 degree head angle, or just ride a track bike.

Unless you ABSOLUTELY know you want a 74.5 degree head angle, I recommend you choose the 73.5 degree head angle, with a 40mm raked fork.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
All else being equal, a bike with a 74.5 HTA and fork rake of 43 mm has a trail of about 48.
Changing the HTA to 73.5 (same fork) raises trail to about 54. Still quick, but much more manageable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.... I was afarid of that - pure racing geometary I guess.... I want comfort for long rides and definitely will not be riding crits any time soon....!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
For a "fast" bike w/ traditional geometry, I'd rather have short chainstays vs a steeper head. Twitchy front ends don't gain you any speed, but a stiff back end makes it jump nicely.

For comfort like the OP's looking for... yeah look for 73/73 and a bit longer chainstays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.