Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm cycling along a multiuse trail, the Bay Trail in California, going for a record on my favorite route so I'm really cranking it. I go around this sharp corner at about 13mph, and bam! With about 200ms notice, I slam head on into another cyclist who is also going really fast, but on his left side (my side) of the freakin' trail!

We bounce off each other, and I lost consciousness for a few seconds. I am now recovering from a concussion. Once I came too, the other guy immediately admits 100% fault and apologized profusely for being on the wrong side of the path, and volunteered to pay for any damages to me or my bike. We trade cell phone numbers. Frankly, his attitude blew me away (but then again, that's what I'd do) and so I could not be mad at the other guy except that sh*t - he was on the wrong side of the freakin' path around a turn and he knew it!!!

So this got me thinking about my road cycling habits, and what I could do in the future to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Any suggestions? Or was this just bad luck?

EDIT: On doctor's orders, I have to say off the computer for a while so please forgive me for not replying any more for a few days.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
don't strava on the muts.

the life you save could be your own.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, you got me. I thought I'd be safe on a MUT. What does it take to find a place where you can go balls out as fast as you want? Only a closed race course?

Actually, that is the conclusion I came to with my formerly fast car driving habits - I take my car to a race track and now I drive the speed limit on public roads since I get my jollies out on the track. But I'd hate to think I have to do the same thing with my bike. Is that what I have to do?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't ride on multiuse trails?

I get the part about not going for a record, and I know some cyclists have either been killed or killed someone else doing this. But in all the examples I know about, the cyclist either lost control, or broke the law like going through a red light. I was obeying the law and was in control - it was 100% the other guy's fault.

How can you seriously train if you don't try to beat your own best times?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Everything is all about calculated risk. You went into a corner at a high speed on a MUT trail without clear site of what's coming up... risky. If you were on a country road with clear vision of traffic and obstacles, go for the strava record, very low risk of accidents barring rider error.

Basically, observe and think as your ride and be predicable. In a bike accident, the rider always loses, doesn't matter who is right.

·
Registered
20,817 Posts
I get the part about not going for a record, and I know some cyclists have either been killed or killed someone else doing this. But in all the examples I know about, the cyclist either lost control, or broke the law like going through a red light. I was obeying the law and was in control - it was 100% the other guy's fault.
Because MUT's are filled with "other guys". You're simply increasing your odds at being taken out.

How can you seriously train if you don't try to beat your own best times?
Roads are for going fast.

·
Registered
752 Posts
So I'm cycling along a multiuse trail, the Bay Trail in California, going for a record on my favorite route so I'm really cranking it. I go around this sharp corner at about 13mph, and bam! With about 200ms notice, I slam head on into another cyclist who is also going really fast, but on his left side (my side) of the freakin' trail!

We bounce off each other, and I lost consciousness for a few seconds. I am now recovering from a concussion. Once I came too, the other guy immediately admits 100% fault and apologized profusely for being on the wrong side of the path, and volunteered to pay for any damages to me or my bike. We trade cell phone numbers. Frankly, his attitude blew me away (but then again, that's what I'd do) and so I could not be mad at the other guy except that sh*t - he was on the wrong side of the freakin' path around a turn and he knew it!!!

So this got me thinking about my road cycling habits, and what I could do in the future to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Any suggestions? Or was this just bad luck?
I'm glad that you did not take out a small child doing that. Honestly, I don't blame the other cyclist for this but you. There are too many unpredictable happenings on MUTs, keep the cycling on the MUT at a sedate pace. Think pedestrian traffic.

While the guy was on the wrong side of the trail, you were hammering and had no way of coming to a complete and controlled stop.

I'm sure that his story was slightly different than your's, along the lines of:

I was out on the MUT today, riding at a decent but controllable pace when coming around a corner i drifted into the left side of the path to avoid a (insert small child, animal, broken glass, etc) obstacle and this guy coming around the corner nails me. He must have been hammering it to come around the turn that fast and not have seen me. Needless to say, I felt responsible as i WAS on the left side of the path but he was not in control of his bike enough to stop safely without crashing. He lost consciousness, so I felt bad and offered to pay for repairs and such. What a jerk, he could have killed us both being stupid enough to hammer away on a MUT!"

See my point? If you want to train for speed, find some really good back roads, there are plenty of them around. Heck, bet you can find recently paved ones to really up your speed. MUTs are for family and recreation, not race training.

EEC

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
So this got me thinking about my road cycling habits, and what I could do in the future to prevent this kind of thing from happening.
Nevermind your road cycling habits. You need to change your mut cycling habits.

Hammering on the MUT is like taking out the second baseman to break up a double play at the company softball game. At best it's embarrassing, or should be anyway. There's time and place to play hard and a venue intended for casual partaking ain't it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Because MUT's are filled with "other guys". You're simply increasing your odds at being taken out.

Roads are for going fast.
I suffered a similar fate on a MUP, except that I was traveling at a "normal" pace. I was going around a sharp curve bounded (and blinded) by bushes on the right-hand side. Some idiot on some sort of three-wheel rowing machine was traveling in the opposite direction and passing on said curve. Same scenario. I first saw him when our front wheels were within inches of each other.

I went over the bar into the bushes, no injuries. My fork was bent back. Numb nuts was flat on his back on the MUP moaning and groaning. I walked down the MUP to guide the ambulance. A runner who frequented this MUP witnessed the crash and phoned 911. He allowed as how the idiot was at fault. Mr. Rowing Machine was carted off in the meat wagon. I replaced my fork. In retrospect, I should have gotten his information.

I learned not to build up any speed unless I had a long line of sight on the MUP.

Our MUP is frequented by kids, skate-boarders, dogs, people who walk in packs across the entire width of the MUP and who actually own the entirety of the MUP, ear-bud people, deer, cyclists who pass with no announcement, and the occasional (illegal) internal combustion scooter etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<< Honestly, I don't blame the other cyclist for this but you. >>

The other guy was going about as fast as me, and on the wrong side of the trail. How do you blame me and not him?

·
Registered
752 Posts
<< Honestly, I don't blame the other cyclist for this but you. >>

The other guy was going about as fast as me, and on the wrong side of the trail. How do you blame me and not him?
You both are responsible for what is in front of you, just like when driving a car. I blame you because from what I read, you were not sufficiently aware of what was happening in front of you to anticipate the need to stop your bike before crashing into another rider.

You BOTH are to blame for being careless and dangerous to other users of the MUT. Personally, had I had an incident like this, the last thing I would do is post it on an internet forum. I'd take my lumps, realize what *I* did wrong and make damned well sure it never happened again.

You got lucky that it wasn't a child that you almost creamed with your stunt. (I so badly want to say reckless stunt, but there was a wreck).

EEC

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts

One of the dumbest things I've heard this month. Possibly year. The other guy being on the wrong side or not, you going for Strava stardom on a bike path is incredibly stupid.

And since you're recovering from a concussion get off the computer and let your brain rest.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ExChefinMA, it seems like you are changing what you said. First you said "Honestly, I don't blame the other cyclist for this but you" and then when I pressed you about this, you said "You both are responsible for what is in front of you." Sounds like you've got a bit of an agenda here? I was under the speed limit. But I get your point.

If a small child were on the wrong side of a path going around a turn, I would like to think that:

1. The parent was negligent in providing appropriate safety instruction or supervision for their child. I would never let my child do something like that. It's like letting your child run into the the middle of a busy street - it's negligent.

2. I would likely have seen the child in time and could have avoided them, since they would have been going much slower than the rider who actually hit me.

You also said "the last thing I would do is post it on an internet forum." Well, I have the balls to admit I may have f$cked up and want other people's advice to help me ride better, like your advice, for which I thank you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to set the record straight, I was not going for Strava stardom. I was training and trying to break my own personal training record. I don't even use Strava, but I do time my rides.

But I get it, anyone trying to ride fast on a MUT is an *******, right?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.