Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a Chris King NoThreadSet for my Specialized Allez Sport. I have e-mailed Specialized and they tell me that international frame manufacturers have gone to a 34.0mm head tube diameter. They go on to say that this means that I have to custom order an oversized headset from King.(They kept their cups at 33.9mm) Supposedly you must do this directly from King because they don't sell them to local suppliers. Does anyone have experience with this? I am trying to avoid ordering the wrong parts and I don't have a set of calipers to measure my frame with.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Head tubes, headsets, and press fits

kml said:
I am looking at getting a Chris King NoThreadSet for my Specialized Allez Sport. I have e-mailed Specialized and they tell me that international frame manufacturers have gone to a 34.0mm head tube diameter. They go on to say that this means that I have to custom order an oversized headset from King.(They kept their cups at 33.9mm) Supposedly you must do this directly from King because they don't sell them to local suppliers. Does anyone have experience with this? I am trying to avoid ordering the wrong parts and I don't have a set of calipers to measure my frame with.
Something sounds a little fishy here. The nominal cup diameter for 1 1/8" headsets is 34.0 mm. Head tubes must therefore be cut a little undersized, 33.8 - 33.9 mm, for a tight press fit. If the Specialized Allez head tube really is cut to 34.0 mm, that would mean that you would need a slightly larger headset cup (34.1 - 34.2 mm) for a tight press fit.

Are you sure that Specialized didn't tell you that their head tube was 33.9 mm, and that you needed 34.0 mm headset cups?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Positive

Mark, thanks for the reply. I am familiar with what you are saying and that is the reason for my post. Spec. sent me an e-mail reply to my question, "which Chris King headset..."

Response (Josh) - 01/24/2006 01:21 PM
Kurt,

You can, but you need to call Chris King and order their oversized
headset. Several years ago, international frame manufacturers went to a
34mm headtube on the frames. Chris King kept their size at 33.9mm. They
eventually work loose. The ones that shops can order through their
distributors are all the undersized ones. You must order this from King
direct.

thanks,
Specialized

I was hoping that this would make sense to someone and maybe they could clarify it for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts