Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

Here is the story. Same Litespeed that I found a mysterious crack in last week, decided to have it fixed but upon tearing the bike down to take to the shop this is what I found. The headset is a standard press in type by FSA. Upper and lower race look identical with a bit over 1/4" that fits inside the headtube. As I was removing the lower race it popped right out with almost no effort. I looked into the headtube and see what I found in the first photo. The race goes almost all the way in before it ever makes contact with the headtube since the headtube is machined for the first 1/4 inch or so. I popped out the upper race and it looks normal. Why would the upper and lower end of the headtube be different in size? Either the original owner installed the wrong headset or someone has machined the lower opening of the headtube. The lower race was very ill-fitting and the end of the headtube has become very mis-shapen because of this. Is this normal on any bikes anyone here has seen? I took it by the dealer and they think someone has screwed up the frame and tride to repair it or cover it up. Also, there was some type of glue residue on the lower race. I bought this bike second hand. Do I have any recourse? The guy who sold it to me sold it as new old stock.

Any thoughts? Here is mine..never buy a bike or frame sight unseen, even if it is supposed to be new!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hmm. Is your headtube 1"? If I were a betting man I would say that the lower end of the HT was inadvertently machined for a 1 1/8". Simply a guess but looking at that lower section of HT, I would be VERY hesitant to ride that frame.

The only solution that leaps to my mind is to cut the lower head tube and re-ream with the proper size reamer. The head tube angle will steepen, since you shortened the total front-end height but you could get a lower headset crown race that is +5mm that should bring you right back into spec.

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I just solved my own mystery...I put on the reading glasses for a better look and this is what I think happened. First of all it is a 1 1/8" steerer ( just to answer the first response)

There is a sleeve that is fitted just inside the headtube at both ends...maybe because it is a Ti frame??? When the headset race was installed, the sleeve moved deeper into the headtube as it was pushed in by the race, instead of the race sliding into the sleeve. I am guessing that the sleeve was cemented in place but that it did not hold very well. Now...wonder if this can be fixed??? Push the sleeve out..cement it back in and face??

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is whack!!! But it is definitely a sleeve. I was able to tap it back down slightly but not all the way. I am sooooo done with Litespeed. If it were heavier maybe it would make a good anchor? How aobut this? Any recommendations what to do with a junked Ti frame!

Tp ten list????? Anyone???

·
yup
2,739 Posts
andulong said:
If it were heavier maybe it would make a good anchor? How aobut this? Any recommendations what to do with a junked Ti frame!

part of a really awesome Hooka?
as the foundation for a kinetic sculpture race machine?
Stationary trainer bike?

thats all I got. Sorry you have to trash it, thats a bummer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why dont you get a new spacer made? One with a small flange to keep it from sliding up into the HT. If not, turn it into a lawn sprinkler.

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
As Nick above recommended, send it back to LS. They may charge you since your not the original owner - but on the other hand they may be able to save it from being a total write off.

Plus since you got ripped off they may cut you some kind of deal.

BTW they are excellent on warranty work - they do support thier products.

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(Are you assuming Litespeed put this sleeve in there from the factory?)

Sure looks like it. If not then someone had to mill out the entire head tube first to oversize and then install the sleeves. Seems kind of difficult???

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
andulong said:
(Are you assuming Litespeed put this sleeve in there from the factory?)

Sure looks like it. If not then someone had to mill out the entire head tube first to oversize and then install the sleeves. Seems kind of difficult???
It's at times like this that I think, what I don't know about something could be worse than what I know. In general, I'm not hung up on gear, but at some level you've got to have confidence in your bike. I'd probably trash it and call it a lesson learned, but it wouldn't hurt to contact Litespeed.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
andulong said:
Any recommendations what to do with a junked Ti frame!

Ebay. 'Ridden once, size is wrong.'

(nevermind it's the size of the lower race that's wrong.)

'Lightweight construction'

(nevermind so light that it cracks for no apparent reason.)

But seriously, Litespeed is decent to workwith from all that I've experienced and heard. Don't expect them to toss you a new bike, but they will treat you fairly (and perhaps a good deal more.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.