Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having this problem for a while. A lot of time after races I would get a really bad headache and wouldn't be able to focus or do or want to do anything for a while other than sleep. Know that I've kicked up my training I'm starting to have the problem after hard training rides. My first thought would be that it is dehydration but I hydrate pretty well during training and after. I also have a recovery drink after every ride. I can't figure it out but it's kind of killing my day since after I train I don't want to do anything. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am with you on this one. I have the same problem. I have had it for about 7 years now. I am usually more than hydrated. My eye doctor once said it was due to squinting. My wife thought it was helmet too tight. I have eaten more before. Tried taking my sugar after races. Everything looked normal. If anyone has insight it would be awesome.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
I actually just read on a blog today that there is something where people that are prone to migraine's tend to get really bad headache's after strenuous exercise.

I guess one of the suggestions they got was to stop exercising strenuously.

I had a pretty massive headache after a big race yesterday. It was hot and I was working really hard... I think after beer #2 it died down. You could try that. Course, that was HOURS after the event.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I will sometimes get headaches after long hard rides too.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and sports drinks. If you drink just water, your body has a hard time absorbing it all because you've lost salt during your ride. So mix up some Gatorade or other sports drink and down a couple of bottles after your ride.

The other possible cause is muscular tension from holding your head up for a couple of hours. Make sure you stretch out well after the ride.

·
Registered
122 Posts
crispy010 said:
The other possible cause is muscular tension from holding your head up for a couple of hours. Make sure you stretch out well after the ride.
+1 on this... I don't get headaches often, but I can feel them coming on from the back of my neck sometimes. A good self-message of your shoulders and back of neck can help reduce it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I come from a family of migraine sufferers (me, wife, daughter) so I truly feel for you.

The first thing I'd recommend is a visit to your doctor. Make sure it's not a symptom of something more serious. The second thing is to keep a journal. Write down every time you get the headaches. Is it only during races, or do you get them after mowing the lawn on a hot day? What about during other sports like running, swimming, skiing, or softball? Also keep track of your sleep, diet, and other factors such as stress and changes in routine.

Lastly, keep specific notes on the headache itself. Did it come on slowly or suddenly? Was it isolated in one spot (e.g. over your right eye) or more generalized (e.g. across the back of your neck). Did asprin or ibuprofen take care of it? Did light or sound aggrevate it? Did you see spots or lights? Did it make you abnormally tired (for the situation)? Did you struggle with memory or balance?

What you're looking for is a correlation. What was going on leading up to the headache? Are you getting true migraines, or is the headache the symptom of something else like dehydration or hyponatremia.

Good luck too you!

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
In addition to what others have said, a big contributor can be muscular tension. If you tighten up when going hard, it might be a factor especially since you get it in both racing and hard training, but I assume easier training rides are not a problem. You may want to consider evaluating your bike fit if you have a hard time being relaxed under hard efforts.

Also remember to focus on pre-event hydration.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Me too.

First off, it's very, very unlikely that it's because of your eyes. I know. I'm an optomtrist.

Mine would only occur after mongo efforts or post race. They started after my diagnosis of chronic Lyme.

Mine have been significantly improved with neck and shoulder massage and trigger point release. Most myofacial pain and headaches are just this. The trick that worked for me was accupuncture and massage on my neck and shoulder. Fortunately I found a guy that can do both.

I think that, specifically, mine were made worse when my body got very run down but I tried to fight through it. I still get them a bit, but not much.

Good luck getting better.

bt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts