Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Heading to Baja: anyone done the Rosarito-Ensenada ride?

656 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  J.D. 
#1 ·
I'm heading down there this weekend to do the 50 mile "race". Has anyone done this before - and do you have any tips? How is the course?

The rest of my group is just going to ride it casually, but riding slow for 3+ hours is too boring for me. I'll probably do it all-out this time, and loaf it next time.

#2 ·
Yes twice and it is awesome. I will also be there this weekend and I can't wait. Some people stay in Ensenada and take a shuttle to Rosarito and then ride back. But we stay at the Rosarito beach motel because that is where the ride leaves and you can sleep in, have a nice breakfast and then walk ou to the street and take off. Then we get to Ensenada, hang at the Fiesta for a few hrs. and then shuttle back to our room. Tips: Don't drink too much the night before save it for after the ride. Never loose sight of your bike! And when you pick a shuttle make sure it has a trailer with carpet or some padding to protect your down tube or you WILL be missing paint when you get back. Have a great time, maybe I'll see ya there.

JD

#3 ·
Like JD said, but also about time(speed)

in the last couple of years they been doing a self seeding start, so if you want to go out with the fast guys under 2:30 for the ride thats the place to be. If not you can ride as slow as you wish.

Also don´t underestimate the down hill part of the ride when you are about 10 miles from Ensenada, is tricky more so when you are sorrounded by iffy riders. But all and all the ride is fun and safe. The only place you will see something like this would be Europe.

Do it, I can´t I will be working on a MTB race course all weekend.:thumbsup:

#4 ·
Thanks for the reminder about the down hill. It is the best part but you must use the 20 feet rule. I mean look 20 feet ahead at all times and be ready. Alot of areas do not have a guard rail and you just need to be alert. I did in in 2:39 last year (self Timed from starting line to finish line) and my goal is 2:30 flat this weekend. One thing I learned is you will get there faster staying far left and yelling "on your left" than trying to swerve for 50 miles dodging people. Have a great time it is amazing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.